Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Is this a spur?

PBmommy

Cavy Slave
We're trying to figure out if these are spurs or extra toes and what to do about it. They are on both his front paws. Male,9 months ish,from petsmart. Thanks! Is this a spur?Is this a spur?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Possibly spurs, possibly dried poop. I'd try soaking his feet for a while and then cleaning them and see what they look like.

PBmommy

Cavy Slave
How would be the best way to go about soaking them? Like to keep him still lol

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Turn a shallow lid upside down, fill it with warm water. Put the pigs' feet in it and plop a pile of something he likes to eat right in front of it.

I'm pig-sitting for a pig that has bumblefoot and needs his feet soaked. It takes about 10 minutes for him to eat a pile of parsley, and that's a pretty good soaking time.

PBmommy

Cavy Slave
I sent a photo to the rescue andthey say they think it's an extra toe instead :(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It doesn't look like a toe to me either.

PBmommy

Cavy Slave
The pictures I've seen of toes look very much like toes not like a hard dark spot like these either so idk ...we cannot adopt the other pig though til he sees a vet :/ I understand why ppl buy them bc I don't have money for a vet right now whereas for less than 1 vet visit I can buy a gp,bedding, hay,and pellets...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Did you try soaking it to see if it comes off?

PBmommy

Cavy Slave
We did,it didn't come off

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
It is most likely a spur which is completely harmless. If it is callous like and growing from the pad of the feet it is probably harmless and you can trim it with nail clippers.

I will add, the rescue has these "hoops to jump through" because they care; they are trying to ensure that their pigs go to the absolute best home possible that will be able to provide appropriate food, housing and medical care.

Not to discourage you but it is imperative that you have funds available for vet trips when they need to happen. Guinea pigs can go downhill VERY quickly and require prompt medical treatment when something goes wrong.

I would personally wait until your financial situation is more stable before you add another pig. Even introductions can result in injuries that require veterinary care and what will you do then? You don't want to be stuck in a situation where you have an emergency and cannot take them to a vet and this is exactly what the rescue is trying to ensure does not happen.

PBmommy

Cavy Slave
I've thought of that but he just seems so sad or like I said in my other post he seems lazy like just laying around alllll the time and I think he'd be much happier with a friend

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
He would almost certainly be happier with a friend.

But again, you have to have some sort of plan with medical care or it's irresponsible to be bringing more animals into your care.

PBmommy

Cavy Slave
Just and update to this post to say we now have him a "friend" (or a foe most days lol....)another male who is a couple months younger than him. "James"
Also, I think his spur or whatever it was went away, My husband pointed out today it was gone and I took pictures of it to compare and indeed one seems totally gone, the other seems smaller than it was. So I am now pretty sure it was a spur of course and not a toe :)

PBmommy

Cavy Slave
Updated photos of the feet today
Is this a spur?
Is this a spur?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Doesn't look like it to me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.