Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello! New mama to 3 beautiful ladies!

merryguinea

Cavy Slave
I've already posted a bit, so figured it's time to come introduce myself!

Pearl came to us 8 days ago. She's 8 months old and us from a home that had two dogs. One of them terrorized her and she was being cared for my the mom, instead of the kids, which they were supposed to care for her, so she looked for a new home and came to us! She was petrified for the first couple days, and, honestly, so was I. I've had bad experiences with hamsters and gerbils buying me and I'm pretty much scared of all animals except dogs.
I still get nervous picking my girls up, so i pretty much always do the elevator box. Anyway, I was amazed me friend could stick her hand in the hidey to get her and she didn't bite.
Our original goal for her had been to for her to be my son's emotional support animal. He is on the autism spectrum, does very well, he's almost 12 and very responsible. Well, now I know that they're not for kids, but for families. And really, they've pretty much turned into my emotional support animals.
They're so incredibly sweet and beautiful! And I love to just watch them, too!
Anyway, Pearl came to live with us and it took several days, but now she didn't immediately into her hidey the secondsees us and isn't terrified when I hold her!

We planned immediately to get her a friend but i was suspicious of a pet store, knowing how they treat dogs and wondered if they did the same thing to guinea pigs, so I started searching and discovered this site and cavyspirit and that I shouldn't get a piggie from a pet store. So I started stalking the humane society website, even went in to check but they didn't have any :( I DID discover they sell Timothy hay and food pellets, so I supported by purchasing the supplies there.
So we got Pearl on a Saturday and just from holding her a few times a day, my severerdepression started lifting. On Tuesday night, the humane society updated their website and listed about 9 guinea pigs!i wasn't sure if they were ask from the same home or they just saved up to post until they had several. They put them in a PetSmart, though. Weds, I went to sign store and got coroplast, then we went to PetSmart to see if the piggies were a good match for us. The nice thing is they had then separate from their for sale cavies, and right up front. The fee went directly to the humane society, I wrote my check to the humane society, so I know it's going to a good place. And we adopted Brownie and Goldie! I held Brownie first and she was nervous, but not freaked out. And then we held Goldie and she si friendly, she even allowed my kids to hold her (I made sit down and I was right there). Since they were possibly sisters and it was 2 for the same price, we went ahead and got both.
We love them!

I made their c&c cage and they're separate from Pearl for another week and a half.

Pearl came in a large pet store cage, so I coroplast today mgmt her a bigger one. I want o figure out how to do it so that i can incorporate it into the other one, once they are successfully introduced. I expect to be spending next week planning and making it!

I took then to the vet that knows about guinea pigs Friday, she said try look good, just keep an eye on Goldie's stomach, it's a little thin hair there.

These girls are so great. They're really my pets, and they are for our family, but I care of them and am the only one allowed to pick up, feed, etc.
So happy to be part of this community!
edited_20160520_125039.jpgP_20160522_144353.jpg

Tatyannalol

Cavy Slave
Very cute! Welcome :)

Malynda Teeter

Cavy Slave
They are beautiful ladies!! We welcome all of you! Everything I have wanted to know about my pigs, I have pretty much learned thru studying this forum, guinealynx, and asking questions.lol

merryguinea

Cavy Slave
They are beautiful ladies!! We welcome all of you! Everything I have wanted to know about my pigs, I have pretty much learned thru studying this forum, guinealynx, and asking questions.lol

That's totally what I'm doing! So much info!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.