Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty One eye seems smaller than the other

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Hi. I've just noticed that one of my guinea pig's eyes looks slightly smaller than the other. Is it possible that some gps are born with 1 normal eye and one slightly smaller? Or could it possibly be an injury? While i was watching him, i saw that he would close his eye a little, then after like 30 seconds he would open it, repeating this over and over again, as if he was falling asleep. While he has his eye slightly closed, he blinks, but only with that eye, as if he's winking. It doesn't look red or swollen. He's not scratching at it.. However, sometimes when he tries to sniff Kasper's [2nd gp] chin, Kasper sort of rams his nose into Flyn's [gp with weird eye] eye, maybe nipping him, i don't know. Is there anything i can do, or should i worry about it? I tried to take a pic, but he won't stay still.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Someone, please reply. Is there maybe a brand of eye drops i can use on him if he has an infection? Please help me..

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
There's whitish liquid in his eye.. :(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The whitish liquid is normal. That's what guinea pigs use to clean themselves with. It's called "cleaning fluid."

Has he always had one eye smaller than the other? Or is this new?

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
But it doesn't look like the normal stuff. It's only in one eye. Sometimes it looks like it's not there, but then after several minutes the liquid forms and almost circles his entire eye. And as i said before, that eye is not fully opened. He winks and he blinks, but only with that eye. I just noticed this today. Before, both of his eyes were always equally opened, with no white stuff.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Sorry for the confusion, i didn't mean that his eyes are not the same size. He's actually just closing his eye a little, making the eye look smaller. Just realized that.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd suggest taking him to the vet. Eye injuries are very painful, and the fact that he's closing it indicates he's hurting. He may have had a hay poke, or a piece of hay up under the eyelid.

See https://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html for more info.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
But my mom doesn't want to spend the money. I tried explaining to her, but she won't listen. She wants me to wait it out, but i know that's not the right thing to do. Is there any possible way to treat it myself? Or at least to relieve the pain some how?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry your mom feels that way. When you have a pet, you have the responsibility of not only feeding and housing it, but of giving it medical care. It depends on you for everything it needs to live well-fed, well-housed, and well cared for.

Your pig is in pain. Can you do anything to get the money for a visit?

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
Relatable. My mom's the same way, to an extent. "It's just a rodent, it doesn't matter!"

Some ideas:

- Pay in chores. "Hey mom, I'll do a load of laundry for every $3 the vet trip costs."
- Sacrifice gifts. Offer to have the vet fee taken out of your next birthday or Christmas present.
- Offer to pay her back when you have money.

Please try to take care of this piggy if you can :) I wish you luck with your mom!

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Relatable. My mom's the same way, to an extent. "It's just a rodent, it doesn't matter!"Some ideas:- Pay in chores. "Hey mom, I'll do a load of laundry for every $3 the vet trip costs."- Sacrifice gifts. Offer to have the vet fee taken out of your next birthday or Christmas present.- Offer to pay her back when you have money. Please try to take care of this piggy if you can :) I wish you luck with your mom!
Thanks for the ideas. Parents can be so heartless sometimes..Hopefully I can help Flyn soon, i feel really bad :( It won't effect my other pig, right? I hope not.. Well, thanks for the good luck. I'll keep trying to get my mom/parents to help me.

LifeWithPiggy
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.