Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello from Sunnypiggie and two brothers who can't get along lol....need some advice.

Sunnypiggies

Cavy Slave
Hi. So happy to be in this group. I recently adopted two brothers both about one years old from the local shelter. Their history is they came from cramped quarters with other Guinea Pigs and themselves. According to the vet report they both have wounds that have healed but there was blood and biting. The shelter told me they cannot share living arrangements. Having said that I have a Midwest cage and have added on C&C cage and have a split down the middle so they can see each other, talk, and not get to lonely. My goal however, would be to eventually have them live together. I need help. I tried having them in the playpen area together (so neutral) but there was teeth chattering and a lot of general discord. Being that they have a history I pulled them out and haven't tried it again yet until I am sure how to proceed. They both have gotten used to me and my family they seem happy in their current situation. They let me pet them and I do separate floor time and I can hold them for a bit. But the darker piggy tends to teeth chatter through the cage and sometimes at me as well on occasion. Is this normal? And any advice on how to get these brothers living together again?

Thanks.

Sunnypiggies

Cavy Slave
IMG_5111.jpgIMG_5112.jpgThese are Bert and Ernie!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum.

See https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html for how to go about introducing pigs. Do it with LOTS of neutral space, and when you've got plenty of time.

They're still adolescents, so you're going to have some squabbling. But they may be able to live together. Just be patient, and don't be in too big a hurry to separate.

One important point. Make a BIG open cage. Don't try just extending the Midwest cage. You don't want ramps or narrow places or hideys with only one door that create places where one pig can trap another.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forums
Hopeing your pigs get on better than theyy have done...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.