Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wow, Reality Check For Me!

• Thread starter futureguineamom
  • Start date

futureguineamom

Cavy Slave
Okay. First let me admit to all of my mistakes. I came onto this forum a few weeks ago, and didn't read the forum rules as suggested. Then, I didn't bother to read up on what the forum stands for. There is two mistakes. Then.. Warning, BIG mistake.. I got a piggie from a pet store. However, I recently have read over all of the rules, what the forum stands for and why.

I see now just how horrible pet stores are. I am sorry I didn't listen to all of that information beforehand, and that I didn't properly do my research. I am actually quite surprised at myself, as I generally do more research than needed and end up with conflicting information. Am I sorry that I ended up with a wonderful piggie companion? No. Am I sorry that I contributed to the ongoing abuse/mistreatment and unecissary breeding of guinea pigs among other innocent animals? YES!

Now, I want to make a stand. Please help me in making pet stores animal free, unless the animals are rescues. (Real rescues, from shelters, non-profit!). The first step I want to take is to write an editorial in the newspaper. A "to the editor" opinion piece. I want to inform the people in my city why pet stores are so bad, and what should happen to change the traditional ways.

Second, I am going to dig up an old website from a friend that is for our local citizens. I am going to start informing my city about pet stores through that, where our political representives frequent.

The thing is, I don't know where to start to make these things effective. How do I get my point across and be taken seriously? I need help with these.

Also, I would like some more suggestions as to how I can make a change. Do you know of any "No Animals In Pet Stores" type banners that I can put on my website? Obviously, I have learned my lesson and will no longer buy from pet stores who sell animals, for profit or not. Unless of course, they include rescues and only rescues.

Thanks in advance.

Patricia

Last edited:

futureguineamom

Cavy Slave
Okay, I can't edit anymore, so this is my edit:

Please tell me why YOU think that pet stores should not be allowed to sell animals. Also, how will not selling animals benefit the pet stores? And, if you have any other links relating to why pet stores should not sell and/or breed animals, please let me know either on this thread or through a PM. Lets all work together to stop this mistreatment, one step at a time. I believe that yes, it can be done with the proper resources.

Thanks again,

Patricia.

Solebomber

Cavy Slave
I think there would be some other issues that would come up if Pet stores were not able to sell small animals, I personally believe you would have the support of most "legitimate" breeders as well as every backyard breeder as banning pet stores from selling animals would raise their profit margins due to the laws of supply and demand.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Solebomber said:
I personally believe you would have the support of most "legitimate" breeders as well as every backyard breeder as banning pet stores from selling animals would raise their profit margins due to the laws of supply and demand.
I find this idea ridiculous. If pet shops stopped selling animals and instead worked with rescues and shelters to adopt out animals and raise awareness of the animal overpopulation problem the breeders would suffer.

If people are eduacated as to the issues at hand then perhaps they would be less likely to view animals as toys. These BYBs and "legitimate" breeders would lose much of their customer base. Most breeders dump their unwanted stock on pet shops, yes even the so called responsible ones. I can't tell you how many self-titled responsible breeders "only sell their babies to good pet shops", like such a thing even exists.

When there is an overpopulation problem then supply is higher then demand. Do you have any idea how many animals rescues like Cavy Spirit has to turn away because they don't have the space? If pet shops worked to get these animals, adopted instead of breeding more to sell, there would be no shortage of GPs and other small pets. Every responsible person who wanted a pet would get as many as they wanted while thumbing their nose at breeders.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
As far as things you can do to help stop the animal trade you need to get vocal.

If you see animals being treated poorly in pet shops you need to make a fuss. You need to write intelligent letters to home office (and get others to do the same) to plead your case. You need to support those that work undercover to expose the horrible conditions most of the breeder animals live in.

Most of all you need to educate people about how horrible pet shops are. Whether it's one on one, picketing a store every weekend or handing out fliers. One person can start the change but it takes an army to win the war.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
One of my friends (who happens to be a rescue manager) came up with this idea:

"Pet stores should not sell animals, but have resident animals (not for sale) in an ideal living situation. The public should see the animals being fed the correct things, on suitable bedding, in a large cage and with lots of toys and hideys."

To add to this, I say that the way pet stores keep their animals influences buyers, and if someone sees 10 cavies in an aquarium on cedar bedding then they will think that it is fine to keep their new guinea like that. If a pet store has a group of resident guineas in a large C&C cage, on suitable bedding with plenty of toys and hideys, plus a bowl of plain pellets, unlimited hay and fresh veggies then the public are influenced in the right way and are much more likely to copy this way of keeping piggies.

I know this doesn't contribute much but I thought it might be appropriate to add here.

Solebomber

Cavy Slave
Well "if people are educated" thats a big "if" , Most breeders around here dump their animals at the Hillsdale, Michigan auction which is held every weekend.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Solebomber said:
Well "if people are educated" thats a big "if" , Most breeders around here dump their animals at the Hillsdale, Michigan auction which is held every weekend.
Then you need to get to work and make the auction change it's rules and disallow live animals from being sold there.

C&K

Cavy Slave
I personally don't understand how you missed what this site stands for, considering the big banner in the kitchen, and the collective hours people spent posting to you on the horrors of petstores, along with giving you links when you implied you wanted to work in the petstore trade and when you asked about our opinions in rescuing pigs from a horrible petstore. Alice Mcmallis and I found you a rescue that would have hand delivered a pig to your door, but you insisted that this petstore was different. I am being blunt, but I am also bitting my tounge, and will continue to do so, as I have done all along, because what is done is done. Maybe you can now put it to good use. I just hope that you did take Jewel to a vet, as she could have a URI or somthing else going on.

As for what you do to inform the public at large, that really depends on you. Cavyspirit.com has some of the best info that you can draw on, Guinea Lynx has some more good info. There was an article on Petfinder that was pretty good to that maybe I can dig up. I suggest you start though by looking over your old posts and listening to the advice that was already given to you. John however really does set the example in how much difference one person can make. But, is your mother going to let you attack her friends livelyhood? This will also kill any chance you have to working in a pet store in your area. You have to be ready for a real fight.

I think there would be some other issues that would come up if Pet stores were not able to sell small animals, I personally believe you would have the support of most "legitimate" breeders as well as every backyard breeder as banning pet stores from selling animals would raise their profit margins due to the laws of supply and demand.

Well, if people where educated, and if petstores where not allowed to sell, then people would get there pets from rescues first, possibly rescues working with petstores. You are right, eventually there would be no more rescue pigs to go around, then either pigs from overcrowded areas could be imported, and if that was not possible because they where so far away, then responsible breeders could start breeding, but, they would have an aware public on their butts, making sure that they did things in the best interests of the pigs.

Last edited:

futureguineamom

Cavy Slave
Cavies-and-Kids, I admitted to those mistakes and do feel terrible. As I said, I wish I had listened to the advice given, and thoroughly looked the site over. Yes, I took Jewel to the vet. She is fine, she was having her very first heat. The vet told me she is in good health. I think at the time I more or less didn't want to listen. In any case, now I would like to educate others so that they don't all make the same mistakes that I have. And you are right, whats done is done.

As far as things you can do to help stop the animal trade you need to get vocal.

If you see animals being treated poorly in pet shops you need to make a fuss. You need to write intelligent letters to home office (and get others to do the same) to plead your case. You need to support those that work undercover to expose the horrible conditions most of the breeder animals live in.

Most of all you need to educate people about how horrible pet shops are. Whether it's one on one, picketing a store every weekend or handing out fliers. One person can start the change but it takes an army to win the war.

This is something that I am not good at. I don't like causing friction, and don't like to voice my opinions. I may need some help with doing this. I want to change things, I want to help people see that animals are indeed being mistreated, no matter what they see in the store. Society needs to realize that there is always more than what meets the eye. Keep the suggestions coming, please. As well as arguments as to WHY pet stores should not be able to sell animals for a profit. I will post the "letter to the editor" when I am done it. Thanks.

C&K

Cavy Slave
Cavies-and-Kids, I admitted to those mistakes and do feel terrible. As I said, I wish I had listened to the advice given, and thoroughly looked the site over.
I am not looking to attack you, really, I think that you are a very nice girl, and you have a huge bright future ahead of you. Everyone makes mistakes. However, I am just suggesting that most of the best information has already been given to you, it is just a matter of going back and retrieving it. Not many here can out write Cavyspirits very well done articles. I would suggest point forming your argument to outline your statement, find true reliable facts to back them up. Perhaps ask for permission to puplish this site of Cavyspirit.com with the article so those looking to do miore reading have the best site to go to.

I have a sleeping baby on me, so I can't add more right now.
I will support you in whatever way you need me too. Just keep posting your questions here, and later your drafts. I just think the reasons why not have already been well said and are available.

C&K

Cavy Slave
cavy-cool-crazy said:
One of my friends (who happens to be a rescue manager) came up with this idea:

"Pet stores should not sell animals, but have resident animals (not for sale) in an ideal living situation. The public should see the animals being fed the correct things, on suitable bedding, in a large cage and with lots of toys and hideys."

To add to this, I say that the way pet stores keep their animals influences buyers, and if someone sees 10 cavies in an aquarium on cedar bedding then they will think that it is fine to keep their new guinea like that. If a pet store has a group of resident guineas in a large C&C cage, on suitable bedding with plenty of toys and hideys, plus a bowl of plain pellets, unlimited hay and fresh veggies then the public are influenced in the right way and are much more likely to copy this way of keeping piggies.

I know this doesn't contribute much but I thought it might be appropriate to add here.

I think it adds a great deal! Very well said.

futureguineamom

Cavy Slave
Thank you cavies and kids. I am starting by going to the very last page in the kitchen forum, and looking at any pet-store related post. I am taking some points from there to build my argument, and working my way forward. I have seen some good points, yes, but none that I think would totally and completely convince the public that pet stores are horrible. It sure took a lot to even convince me, a huge animal lover who has done animal rights projects all throughout highschool. I will continue my search for information.

Also, PLEASE, if you have any banners or pictures for animal rights to prevent people from buying from pet stores, I would love to put some on my website. Thanks.

C&K

Cavy Slave
but none that I think would totally and completely convince the public that pet stores are horrible. It sure took a lot to even convince me, a huge animal lover

I think that really is the crux of the whole sticky situation. When it comes down to it, the vast majority just don't really care. All you can hope is to reach out to those that are willing to listen and think. You are not going to find one showstopping piece that makes just about everyone stop in there tracks and go "wow, that is profound, I'll never buy a small animal at a petstore again".

Bit by bit, we will change the world. Arm yourself with the best info you can, make as strong an arguement you can, and be happy if you change how even 10 people in your town view buying small animals. It is a victory! From which, bigger victories will grow. If you want to think bigger, perhaps you can look into the lobying (sp?) that I know CavySpirit was involved with in getting petstores to provide accurate solid information with every new live pet purchase. I think that if people know going in what proper care entails for buying a rabbit or pig or other small animal, many would think better of the whole thing. The Calgary Humane Society has a really good estimate on how much it costs to keep a rabbit or iguana as a pet. It shows the 1000's that will be spent over the animals lifetime.

In addition, you could look into placing plamplets at local outlets, like libraries, or anywhere with a billboard. Again, if you get permission, I am sure you could direct those looking for more information to this website.

futureguineamom

Cavy Slave
Thanks again. I've found some points on why people like pet stores (lots of opposing viewpoints) and am able to make an arguement for those points.

Keep the information coming everybody! CavySpirit or mods, can I please use this website as my main source?

Thanks once again.

I know that I can not change everybody's viewpoint, but yes if I can even change the minds of just 10 people, and influence maybe just 2 people to help make a difference, than this is worth it. For the animals sake!

I love the idea of making up pamphlets to set up in certain areas or stores and what have you. Thanks for the ideas. Now we just need to get more people to make a stand in their cities, as well. One step at a time.

futureguineamom

Cavy Slave
I personally don't understand how you missed what this site stands for, considering the big banner in the kitchen, and the collective hours people spent posting to you on the horrors of petstores, along with giving you links when you implied you wanted to work in the petstore trade and when you asked about our opinions in rescuing pigs from a horrible petstore.

You are right Cavies-and-Kids. I went back to that thread and re-read EVERYTHING. It did say that pet stores were bad, but I only saw one thread about the breeders. I didn't fully understand what was so bad and was being stubborn and "set in my ways." I had missed the post you made about the breeders.

I don't mean to bring all of that up again because as was said by both of us before, whats done is done. However I do admit to making a huge mistake, and I know now that I should have read over the posts more thoroughly and with an open mind. I am not the only one who has come on here and posted about pet stores, refused to take the advice given, and then later seen my mistakes.

I will never again support pet stores. That is a true fact that I will not back down on.

Krysanthemum

Cavy Slave
cavy-cool-crazy said:
If a pet store has a group of resident guineas in a large C&C cage, on suitable bedding with plenty of toys and hideys, plus a bowl of plain pellets, unlimited hay and fresh veggies then the public are influenced in the right way and are much more likely to copy this way of keeping piggies.

I love your idea, but I really don't think pet stores would go for it. One of the reasons they have guinea pigs in such cheap, basic accommodation is that people will come in, see these conditions and assume that guinea pigs are an easy pet to keep, and will therefore be more comfortable buying one.

If people looking for a pet sees that they'll have to put serious time and care into having a guinea pig, not to mention the space required for a C&C cage and the fact that you should actually have at least two pigs, they might not buy the pig. And pet stores don't want that. So it's a great idea, but I doubt it will ever happen.

C&K

Cavy Slave
If people looking for a pet sees that they'll have to put serious time and care into having a guinea pig, not to mention the space required for a C&C cage and the fact that you should actually have at least two pigs, they might not buy the pig. And pet stores don't want that. So it's a great idea, but I doubt it will ever happen.

I agree with this after reading it over. I could not believe the looks my C&C got this halloween from both parents and kids alike, some looked in amazement, others I knew walking away where going "What crazy people... I hope the candy is ok" and others still where just blown away by how much space a cage took up.

Parents love to shove the small animals in kids rooms. If the cage is huge, they are less comfortable with the whole idea.

Not to mention, they love making money off those large cages!

Still though, awsome idea. If I owned a petstore, I would sell sheets of coroplast!

futureguineamom

Cavy Slave
Thats a good idea, just selling coroplast. Keep the "why pet stores are bad" ideas coming though, please? I have 70 points so far, and I know there are more out there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.