Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi, I'm new here! Any advice welcome!

Vrolrebe092

Cavy Slave
Hi! I'm getting my first pair of guinea pigs this weekend. I'm incredibly excited, and I'm building my own cage. I've researched a fair bit, but any advise is very much appreciated!

Guineahamster65

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome to the forum! Its always nice to see people doing research about piggies before adopting. This site is full of useful information so be sure to look around.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome!

See the following links for more information:

-- https://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html
-- https://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html
-- www.cavyspirit.com
-- the stickies at the tops of the main forums here
-- https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...us-Plants-List for what you can feed and how often
-- https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...ur-guinea-pigs!

And please don't buy your pigs from a pet store. They're often sold sick, with parasites, missexed, and the females are pregnant. There are lots of pigs in rescues and shelters that need good homes, and we'll be happy to help you find what you're looking for.

Vrolrebe092

Cavy Slave
Thank you! And no, I will not be buying from a pet store. I'm taking in young piggies from someone who no longer has the time or money for them. I wouldn't want them to be put in shelters, and that was their other option :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thanks for rescuing them!

Vrolrebe092

Cavy Slave
The piggies are here! After a few hours, they finally came out of the box :)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Whoohoo! Pictures, please!

And welcome to the forum.

Vrolrebe092

Cavy Slave
IMG_20160131_184436678.jpg. This is the only one I got before they started hiding again. Not sure if this will work. Their names are Spike ( white) and Gizmo (tri-coloured) from gremlins

Sydnosa

Cavy Slave
hi im having trouble figuring out how to start a thread there is no "start a thread" button on my screen as the FAQ told me there would be

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Click on the Forums tab at the top of the page.

Scroll down until you find the forum you want your post to go into.

There'll be a New Thread button at the top left.

amanda_cake

Cavy Slave
They are so cute!

Vrolrebe092

Cavy Slave
Haha, thank you! They're still skittish, but so sweet.

Mikey4545

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone - I am devastated !!! My Taz diedIMG159.jpg yesterday and I don't know what happened !! A couple of weeks ago, I was cleaning his cage and I set him by me and rubbed his cheeks and under his chin. He didn't purr like he used to but I wasn't alarmed because sometimes he didn't purr. However, as the week progressed he seemed like he was having a problem with his head. He almost looked like he went blind or something. He wasn't eating his timothy hay off from the side of his cage but was eating his food heartily. He even was eating his carrots in the morning, practically coming out of the cage to snatch them from my hand and eating all of it. (recently, he would just nibble and sometimes wouldn't finish) - I would give him another carrot and he ate that. He was eating his Kale but no hay. Finally, I put some hay on the bedding and he would eat that but not really pull anything from the side cage dispenser. He was a bit irritated when I would put my hand in the igloo he stayed in, trying to nip at me. The last few days, he was still eating but it seemed he was losing weight. this last Sunday morning, he had his carrot in the morning. He was drinking his water but my daughter who came from college said it kinds looked like maybe he had a stroke. Sunday night I noticed he didnt eat all his eveing kale and was in a corner. I know this wasn't good. By the morning he was on his side and I hels him for 3 hours and he passed in my arms. What did I do wrong. I'm afraid it was my fault. I can't understand how he ate everthing else but not his hay. I loved him so much - . Taz and I were best friends. He kept me company while my daughter was gone and I just want to know if anyone can tell me what happened. Sorry to be a downer, I'm just so heart broken. Please help !!
Michael

Mikey4545

Cavy Gazer
Oh - Taz was 6 1/2 years old

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry you lost him. That's a good age for a guinea pig.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
It doesn't sound like it was anyone's fault but time. He was very beautiful. I'm sure he was comfortable and felt safe for those last hours, at least he was in your arms. Good job.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.