Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage First Guinea Pig Set-up Any Advice before their arrival

HAL3146

Cavy Slave
Hello All,

We are getting out first pair of guinea pigs tomorrow. Below is a picture of my set-up. It is a 4x2 C&C cage with cover. I have put in a little kitchen area (not sure if it is really needed). The cage is lined with a double layer of the U-haul moving blankets with fleece over it. I intend to do the same in the kitchen area (the fleece is being washed currently).

Anything I am missing or any feedback on the set-up? Think that I should change? Just want to make sure I am not missing anything.
First Guinea Pig Set-up Any Advice before their arrival

Looks good to me. The only thing I'd suggest changing is that water bowl (if that's what the white thing is). They get really yucky really quickly, and water bottles are a much cleaner way to give them water.

I would suggest getting a second hay rack and water bottle. That way, they can both eat/drink at the same time and if one hay rack runs out, or a water bottle gets clogged, there's a back up.

It looks pretty good.
Something to add would be a pellet dish that cannot be tipped over, if you haven’t already got one. Also, another option for the kitchen bedding could be disposable paper bedding (it’s really hard to get hay off fleece bedding). One more thing to do would be to check whether the fleece ‘wicks’, if you haven’t already by seeing whether any water dripped onto the fleece sinks straight through to the u-haul underneath.

Piggly, that's what that red thing is. It's a dual purpose hay rack/food dish.
However, on the subject of that particular dish... I didn't like it at all. I had one just like it and the only thing that managed to happen was that they got hay all over their food and I wasn't sure if they were eating properly. It seemed a good idea when I picked it up, but it just doesn't function the way you'd expect. Not to mention that I had this suspicion i wasn't very easy for the mto get the hay out of over the dish anyway.
That's my two cents.
Also, @bpatters that is a water bottle, and a second one is lying near the cage. I clicked on the picture to get a better look.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.