Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Easiest set up for neighbor who will be pet-sitting for a week?

lattelove

Cavy Slave
A very responsible teen neighbor will be pet sitting our guinea pig next week while we are away. We have previously boarded Pebbles at a local pet shop, but they have recently had to stop boarding mammals due to a change in city ordinance, so this will be our first time having someone come to our house to pet-sit Pebbles.

Wha would be the easiest cage set up for a newbie as far as cleaning? Pebbles' habitat is a 3x2 C&C cage with a 2x2 loft. We use fleece on both levels, with the exception of the kitchen area on the lower level, which has aspen shavings and shredded paper litter. He poops anywhere he pleases, but mostly pees in the kitchen area or select corners of the habitat. We do a full cage cleaning and change all of the fleece and bedding once a week, and scoop out and replace soiled litter once a day or two.

I have been contemplating replacing the litter in the kitchen area with fleece just like the rest of the habitat. I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and do this now before we travel. Would a fleece kitchen area be easier and more sanitary for cleaning purposes, or would it just get nasty more quickly and need to be changed as frequently as we are currently changing the litter?

Thanks for any advice or tips for making it as easy as possible for our pet sitter!

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Before I switched to wood pellets, I once left my pigs with a sitter for a little over two weeks, which was the equivalent of four bedding changes. I put down four absorbent layers, either with fleece and a piece of plastic over them (no plastic over the top, of course). The sitter just removed the top absorbent layer and plastic, and another layer was clean and ready to go.

But your system doesn't sound difficult to manage, and your sitter could probably continue the current schedule.