Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece staying wet in one area

mimipig

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone, I have been using fleece with hardwood pellets underneath for over a year and had no problems. But since I recently adopted a second pig, things have gotten a lot messier and that method wasn't working as well at all for me anymore. The cage started to smell in a few days where it wouldn't smell at all for a week when I just had one pig, which is expected but I decided I should change my bedding a bit because of the problem corner where they decided they both like peeing. I know my fleece is wicking properly and all because I've used it previously and have tested, water immediately passes through etc. I tried adding a layer of puppy pads just under the fleece in that problem area and change every other day, but the fleece in the one corner where they pee constantly it seems stays wet, the puppy pad gets soaked too quickly and I guess the fleece doesn't dry out when I put a new one under because they just keep peeing on that spot. Ideally I'd like the bedding to last more than a day, if possible! The rest of the cage is fine and lasts a reasonable amount of time, especially since I added a kitchen area, but I just need to do something about this pee corner. Does anyone have any other suggestions I could try? I have towels, uhaul pads, fleece, wood pellets, and puppy pads at my disposal, does anyone have combinations of these that would work for this problem? Again, the issue is in just one corner where they pee constantly. Thank you!

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave
Make some 1x1 potty pads with 2 layers of fleece and 2 layers of uhaul in the middle.
Use one side one day, flip over for second day, change out pad third day.
That is what I do in all my corners.

mimipig

Cavy Slave
Thanks a lot I think I'll try that tomorrow, for the uhaul pads is it okay to wash and put them in the dryer (on tumble) as usual? Do they break down?

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave
Yes, I wash and tumble dry mine on high for a year and a half now and they have not torn up or broken down.
But when making the pads you want to sew two layers of uhaul in between the two layers of fleece, so you have fleece, uhaul, uhaul, fleece.

mimipig

Cavy Slave
Great thanks again for the tips! :)

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
I use fleece and pellets myself and recently started using paper bedding in my kitchen area and notice that now my Brownie pees there almost exclusively. I have to scoop it out daily and add a little more but the rest of the cage hardly ever gets peed on. I change the fleece weekly still but not because I have to. He loves peeing on the paper bedding!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.