Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives moving soon thinking up some ideas

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
So, we will be moving this summer and have to re-make our tortoises enclosure, we have decided on bricks with lots of plants around the outside and a little water fall built into the outside of the enclosure (all indoor) it will end up being the center piece of our living room.
im wondering though if something similar could be done for guinea pigs. maybe on the other side of the waterfall so there is a buffer zone between them.
I was thinking of making the side walls brick (comes around the corner just a bit) and make the whole front cubes. i figure the bricks will help match the other enclosure and also keep with the natural colors and textures of their natural habitats.
my only worry with this idea is how to stabilize the bricks just in case a kid bumps into them (its a rental so i cant keep anything permanent... any thoughts or ideas?

Wow, sounds amazing! I would suggest that if you do the bricks, you need to line the inside floor AND walls with something waterproof (like coroplast, shower curtain, etc.). When you get your second girl, there may be some "spraying" of urine if they are arguing. I adopted an existing pair of girls and they did spray at each other a couple times in the beginning. If they sprayed bricks, i don't know if you could get that out and if it would smell!

Also, it would so cool if you could somehow make them a bridge that goes over the tortoise's area!

in both enclosures we would have a coroplast base and i dont really want to cement the bricks together because it is a rental so it would be easy to take apart if i needed to and at .69 cents a brick if i needed to replace one or two that wouldnt be too bad :D

i love the bridge idea over the tortoise pen trying to figure out where that might go to though or maybe just around in a square and back to the enclosure? any ideas on that?

Could you maybe make a wood enclosure with a brick facade?

We have a wood one for our tortoise now, and I wouldnt mind wood sides and backing to for the guinea pigs. But termites are a huge problem in older houses here (which is funny because the houses arent built with wood only cement) part of the reason we are loving the brick idea is because its easily moved and reshaped.

Our tortoise needs the equivalent of a 6 foot by 3 foot (so what ever the square footage that is) and the guinea pigs are going to need the equivalent of a 2 x 4-5 c&c cage which would make it very hard to fit into one area. If I can't make it work I will just expand the guinea pigs cage and do the brick thing for the tortoise, but I thought it would be a beautiful idea to put them in the same room with a similar type of enclosure. Moving makes me think of decor ideas and I've always wanted to make the tortoise's enclosure an eye catcher now with Lilly (and her soon to be buddy). I had to add that in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
It absolutely would be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.