Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C cages and cold floors

fuzypeaches

Cavy Slave
I would be keeping my piggies on the floor of my room. I'm on the top floor of my house and my floor is carpeted. My room is heated in the winter and so it wouldn't be cold. I think I would put enough bedding on the bottom. Would that be enough to keep it warm? Are there any other objections to keeping it on the floor? Just checking one last time before I start to build.:?:

C&K

Cavy Slave
I think it would be fine on the floor. What is really important is to keep it away from drafts and possibly exterior walls, but mostly if there are drafts. The easiest way to check is to light a lighter or match where you will have the cage and see if the flame flickers as it would in a draft. Flames are very draft sensitive. With carpet and being on an upstairs floor, I don't think your floor could really be considered "cold".

Now, where to get the supplies?? Just wanted to let you know I found the best deals at Home Depot. they had a double pack of cubes, Rubbermaid "6pack" for 29.99, and at my local Home Depots, Coroplast 4x8 sheet for 17.98. Sabriel found a art store in Toronto that has Choroplast for under 14.00, so call a few art stores or sign shops, but if all else fails, it isn't a horrible price. Micheals sold 20"x30" sheets, about the size of bristol board for $9.00 a piece!

Walmart sells 3 pack cubes for 19.99 a 3 pack has just enough to make the walls for a 2x4, but no loft, no lid, no supports, nothing. One thing you may want to consider is look through the gallaries and Cavy Cage Superstar thread, and you will see elevated cages with storage underneath. Very cool.

fuzypeaches

Cavy Slave
True...I was thinking about how having it elevated would provide some storage...but if not I can always just throw the stuff in my closet..since they'd be in my bedroom. Also, does anyone know where there are any places to get the mesh-cubes? I've seen those on a few places and thought they looked pretty cool...keep in mind I'm in Canada so, we may not have some of the american stores. Thanks!

amyjane

Cavy Slave
If your house is anything like the my upstairs apartment, it should be plenty warm, if not a little on the hot side.

As far as cubes go, I think I've heard that Linens n Things carries them. I've seen them at Walmart, but only seasonally. They seem to be more available around the time kids are moving into college dorms. You probably should just shop around the usual places that people find grids (i.e. Target, Walmart, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc).

ilovemykisses

Cavy Slave
I never thought to check Michael's for coroplast... or even Home Depot!
C.K, you rock!! Thanks!

I'm on the 3rd floor and my cage is on the floor, near the closet where there is zero draft. I've had no problem with them being cold :)

I got my grids from Fred Meyer's for $17.99.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.