Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

question about cubes

kukana1983

Cavy Slave
hi everyone! i had a question about a coroplast cage i'm going to make this afternoon for my piggie girls. i had some extra cubes left over from when i lived in my college dorm last year. the one problem is that they dont' look like the cubes in all the photos users have posted. my cubes are silver and have very fine metal mesh instead of the larger open squares inside them. would that work ok? my one concern was that they couldn't see out of the cage as well, and that perhaps ventallation wouldn't be as great, though i'm not sure? the cubes arn't solid and air can flow, but the mesh makes it so that the holes are only about 1cm big. is that too small? please let me know what you think. i'm going to get the coroplast today and need to know if i should get different cubes as well :) thanks everyone!!

paula

Paula,

Those are fine there are quite a few people on these boards that use them and personally if I could have found those when doing my C&C I would have chosen them first.

Also word to the wise before the Queen of Plonkerland catches you :D Please try to use proper capitalization and grammar as those are the forum rules. Just a heads up.

New2Cavys said:
Also word to the wise before the Queen of Plonkerland catches you :D Please try to use proper capitalization and grammar as those are the forum rules. Just a heads up.

Thanks New2Cavys! I didn't know that. I have a bad habbit of not capitalizing when I type but I'll try my best to remember that. :) Thaks for the advice as well!!

Those cubes are fine to use - a lot of people prefer those mesh cubes, but they're just so hard to come by. They are good at keeping in bedding so less cleaning on your part!

I use them and I love them. As long as you don't have a solid lid on your cage, there won't be a ventilation problem. They're great with keeping the bedding inside of the cage.

How old are your piggies Paula? We'd love to see pigtures when you get everyone settled into the new cage!

I think those kinds are better because there is no chance your pigies will acidentaly get their head stuck in the bars (It doesn't happen a lot, but it could)

Thanks everyone! Percy's Mom- I will post some photos as soon as I upload them onto my computer. I have one adult male (Chipper, just over a year old) and three adult females- two we think are about a year old (Zipper and Pigglett) and the other, Isabella, is about 2 1/2 months old (the daughter of Zipper). Pigglett also just had four little ones and they're quite adorable! 2 boys (Ron and Brick- my fiance loves the movie Anchorman), and 2 girls (Zara and Patches). I'll be sure to post photos when I can!

Was that litter of babys on purpose?

Pigglett's litter was actually unplanned. We let them all have floor time together and since Chipper and the girls are together we watch them to make sure no "oops!" happen. However a couple of the times we had to go into the other room for a couple minutes (doorbell rang etc.) and thats the only time they were together unsupervised. As my fiance said after learning Pigglett was pregnant- "Chipper's the man." However, I had to shake my head at that... LOL

Pigglett's litter was actually unplanned

I'd have to say that that statement can't be true. You purposely put the male in with the females and even leaving the room for a second can cause a pregnancy. It only takes a second for the boar to impregnate the sow. You will find this board is very ant-breeding and we don't support it at all. They only way you could prevent more litters for yourself is to never leave the boar with any fertile sows or you can get the boar neutered. Please do not breed again. Read this: https://cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm

Yes I know that this forum is very anti-breeding and I'm not saying that everyone should let their piggies breed uncontrollably but accidents CAN and DO happen. Yes I put my male in the same enclosure as my females for floor time, and yes that caused one of my females to become pregnant. Was I unresponsible? Others may think so, but I did the best I thought I could do for my piggie when I found out she was pregnant. I'm not going to let them have more babies, just so everyone here knows. Everyone here has made "mistakes" when it came to their piggies, everyone. The babies were unplanned, but i'm doing the best I can in the situation I'm in. Please don't come down on me for trying to take care of the responsibility I've created for myself. Thanks.

You'll find that some arguements can get quite heated, so don't take anything to personally. I'm really interested in seeing your C&C cage too. What colour of coroplast will you be using? I'm assuming you have the male in a separate one now.. do you plan to get him neutered? It might be a little bit costly, but then they can all live together nicely. What do you plan to do with babies? How old are they now?

We put together the C&C cage using light blue coroplast and very fine metal mesh cubes instead of the more popular larger grid ones. It was what we had laying around our apartment after I moved out of my dorm room so we figured it would work. Yes our male Chipper is in his own cage (not a C&C cage because we don't have quite enough room yet) but it is actually 2 of our original store bought cages put together. We took one end of each cage off and connected them together with zip ties, then added a ramp between the two plastic bottoms so he could run between the two. We don't plan to get him neutered but will most likley make a additional partitioned section of our C&C cage that the girls are in once we make some more space in the office, so he socialize with them through the mesh. Our babies (4 of them- 2 boys; Ron and Brick, and 2 girls; Patches and Zara.) They're 8 days old ❤️

Aww, we want to see pics of the babies!!!❤️

:love: You can go here and see some pictures of mama and the little ones:love:

(broken link removed)

Enjoy!

Aw, it didn't work :(

Hmmm, try this link. I tried using a different image hosting site. If this doesn't work does anyone have ideas on what site I could use?

(broken link removed)

Aw they are gorgeous! Are you keeping all of them? Just making sure, I'm sure you already do but, are you aware that its good to separate them by gender at 3 weeks? I'm sure you've researched it very well though. One looks almost just like mom! Cute.

I especially like the brown and black one, with the brown ears, white face, black around one eye and on the other side black from the eye down. Beautiful markings!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.