Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications Gassy piggy recovering from ear infection, awaiting dental procedure.

Herbadurp

Cavy Gazer
Hi all! I am new to this forum (30 minutes new to be exact) and I need a little advice concerning my 3 yr old piggy Herbert. He has been on antibiotics for over a week for an ear infection and the vet discovered that his back molars are too sharp and need to be shaved down. She ALSO came to suspect that he may have an abscess, which is causing bad breath and over-grooming near his tid bits and inner thighs. Now, in the midst of this he stopped pooping but continued eating and behaving as he usually does. Concerned he had bloat, I rushed him to the vet yesterday. She took an x-ray and said he just has bad gas in his stomach but nowhere else, and advised me to give him 1 ml Little Remedies gas relief drops (Simethicone) for kids 3 times a day. He was due for his dental procedure today BUT... she got bit by a dog and had to get rushed to the hospital and now I cannot bring him in until next Tuesday.

Now, I do not know how long I should continue giving him the gas relief medicine. He still has not made normal poops and all the poops he is making, he eats right away (they are not normally formed, more mushy and disformed). He actually spins around looking for his poop to eat because he thinks he has made one already! Can anyone give me advice on what to do? He has also been on the antibiotics for over a week and on 0.15ml metacam (meloxicam) for 4 days. I will call tomorrow and see if any of the vets there can advise me on what to do since my vet won't be there. Should I keep giving him the gas relief at the recommended doses until he poops normally? The vet said that the gas is probably because of his teeth and not surprising (his molars are too sharp and are about 2 mm from touching one another).

Also, I'm not exactly sure how him over-grooming the lower portion of his tummy could be related to an abscess in the mouth area. Does anyone have any experience/advice on this? I will have to do a body check on him later to see if there may be some abscess/lump on his leg. His behavior is completely normal (aside from chasing his ghost poops) and his appetite is normal, but I feel terrible just thinking how uncomfortable the gas and his molars must be making him feel :(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sorry your pig and your vet are having such problems. Hopefully both will be straightened out soon.

Here are some links about bloat: https://www.guinealynx.info/search_bloat.html. There'll be some info in there about the use of simethicone and of treatment of gas, as well. A vibrating pillow will help with the gas -- even an electric toothbrush will help some.

I'd see if I couldn't find another vet who could do the tooth planing sooner. But be sure it's an experienced exotic vet -- not every vet, even exotic ones, can do that. But his eating, and therefore pooping, probably isn't going to improve until that is fixed.

I'd also give him a probiotic, starting now. Really should have started when went on the antibiotic. You can certainly get Bene-Bac from a vet, and maybe from one of the big-box pet stores. Or, you can use plain human acidophilus or kyodophilus.

Herbadurp

Cavy Gazer
Thank you! I'll take a look at the link. I forgot to mention that I have had him on Bene-bac as well as Vit. C :( since I started the antibiotics. His current vet is one of the best exotic vets in the area, but I will take a look at other good exotic vets as well. I'm only worried that they will have me come in, do a check up, and then schedule me for a procedure even more delayed than his current vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.