Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introduction and questions :)

taffy123

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! I am new here and have a few questions. So first of all, I am new to guinea pigs. I started with two back in May, whom I thought were both girls, turned out one was male so I had Odie and Poppy. And Poppy was pregnant.... So to get Odie a new cage made I went and rescued Oliver! Who turned out to be a girl... And her new name is Olive... But no worries anyone! I found out very soon and separated them. But this morning I woke up to two babies!!! Poppy had her babies while I was sleeping!! So I have Poppy and her two babies in a 2X4 cage and Odie and Olive are in a 5X2.5 C&C cage with a divider in the middle. So I have an appointment on July 30 to get Odie neutered so he can live with Olive and Poppy. And I want to keep the one female baby. But is my 5X2.5 C&C cage big enough for 4 piggies?? Sorry this is so long. [emoji4]

ThePigAlchemist is right! :) that SHOULD be big enough as long as they get along okay. Congrats on the babies! I had a similar situation happen with my pigs and ended up with 2 babies as well and chose to keep the baby girl too!
I would keep Olive on pregnancy watch JUST to be absolutely sure she didn't get pregnant. It takes mere seconds for them to get impregnated.
I'm also glad to hear you have the appointment to get Odie neutered! :) I just got my boar neutered almost a month ago and he is doing just fine :) He gets to be reintroduced to the girls in one-2 more weeks :)
Just make ABSOLUTELY SURE that your vet is qualified to neuter guinea pigs. This link has a good list of questions to ask your vet before going through with the procedure: https://www.cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm

After you get him neutered wait a MINIMUM of 4 weeks before reintroducing him to the ladies or he could still get them pregnant.

BEST OF LUCK! :love:

ThePigAlchemist is right! :) that SHOULD be big enough as long as they get along okay. Congrats on the babies! I had a similar situation happen with my pigs and ended up with 2 babies as well and chose to keep the baby girl too!
I would keep Olive on pregnancy watch JUST to be absolutely sure she didn't get pregnant. It takes mere seconds for them to get impregnated.
I'm also glad to hear you have the appointment to get Odie neutered! :) I just got my boar neutered almost a month ago and he is doing just fine :) He gets to be reintroduced to the girls in one-2 more weeks :)
Just make ABSOLUTELY SURE that your vet is qualified to neuter guinea pigs. This link has a good list of questions to ask your vet before going through with the procedure: https://www.cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm

After you get him neutered wait a MINIMUM of 4 weeks before reintroducing him to the ladies or he could still get them pregnant.

BEST OF LUCK! :love:
Thank you both I'm glad I have the room:)
And thank you for all of the information @Lagertha and I'll make sure to keep an eye on Olive. She turns 4 weeks old in 2 days. Was she even old enough to reproduce??

Thank you both I'm glad I have the room:)
And thank you for all of the information @Lagertha and I'll make sure to keep an eye on Olive. She turns 4 weeks old in 2 days. Was she even old enough to reproduce??

Of course :)
aw! She's almost the same exact age as my babies! :D They'll be 4 weeks on Tuesday!
Guinea pigs are sexually mature by 3-4 weeks old so hopefully she isn't! If she is there is little to no chance of her surviving pregnancy and birth at that age since the babies are born so big :( Since she was only 3 weeks old I'm hoping she wasn't mature enough to get pregnant. She likely isn't since she's so young, but I would keep an eye on her anyways just to be safe and sure!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.