Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n A couple of questions

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I finally tried to make myself watch the Meet your meat video. I didn't get far. I just couldn't watch it. Totally blows me away.
First question. Does organic meat, or the animals used in organic meat, go thru the same torture and cruelty?
Second question. What about tuna?
I am the main cook in my house. There are still some meat eaters living with me. I do not want to serve any meat that is cruel to animals. Just the little of the video I watched, I am sick beyond sick.:yuck:
thank you for the answers

Alicemcmallis

Cavy Slave
Does organic meat, or the animals used in organic meat, go thru the same torture and cruelty?

Unfortunately, yes. They are raised differently but are sent to the same slaughterhouses as the rest of the animals killed for meat.

I don't know about the tuna, sorry.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
The only way to get around the cruel slaughter meathods is to find a small farm that kills thier own animals. My friend buys 1 cow a year from a farm up in Ottawa. It is raised organic (but not certified, I think to get around send it to the slaughterhouse) and killed as humanely as possible. It is then cut into steaks an what not and shipped to my friends home. His family also buys chickens locally from a farm and helps with the slaughter process. The lady who runs the farm makes the killing cut and my friend's mother plucks, cleans and cuts the chicken.

I would not do it, but if you must buy meat I feel it's the way to go. At least they are involved in the process and know it's as humane as possible without compromising thier saftey. The animals are also raised naturally with room to run about and good natural food.

But it'll cost you an arm and a leg! It's not cheap to do things proper.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I and my family (that live with me) are off meat, any kind of meat. I went to our local health food store and bought Boca meats and some other soy based meats . I found organic eggs from a ranch right here in our area. The chickens are raised right in the back yard. I live where I could raise my own. I just don't know anything about it. Anyway, my brother ate soy meat in spagettii and didn't even know he was not eating "real" meat.
My family (that lives with me) consists of myself, my daughter, and my brother. I informed all that I was no longer cooking any meat. That video really upset me. I can still see the images. No animal should have to go thru such torture so I can eat them.
It is so grossing me out!
My daughter and I have been somewhat vegetarian for quite some time. We are now going total.
She is the one who eats alot of tuna. That is why I asked about tuna.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.