Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Possibly adopting a skinny pig

Vaygapawz

Cavy Slave
Hello all, I've been thinking about getting myself a skinny pig. I still have research to do, but I have lots of questions already!

What cage size is ideal?

Do most pigs enjoy cuddling and/or interacting with their humans?

Are they nocturnal or diurnal?

Obviously, being rodents they poop a lot. Do they poop a lot if you are holding them? Does the poop smell? Is it mushy or hard?

Does my skinny pig need a friend?

Cleanest bedding option?

Do they bite often?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
1 - A 2x4 C&C cage is the ideal size for a pair, the 2x4 is the number of grids used and each grid is usually 14 inches (if I remember correctly, I use closet shelving instead of grids).

2 - Some do like cuddling, some don't. It depends on the individual. Most all guinea pigs will quickly realise you are the source of food and will love interacting with you for the chance at food, but they will never like being picked.

3 - I think it is generally accepted that guinea pigs are crepuscular, but pet guinea pigs will sleep and be active whenever suits them day or night. They don't have a set "sleep" period (likely due to the need to have food constantly moving through their systems), they take naps when they feel like it. Some guinea pigs have even been known to do exercise by doing laps around the cage at unusual hours (like 3am).

5 - Yes they poop a lot. Most will poop during lap time, you will occasionally have an individual who will hold it. The poop should be hard and not smelly unless there is something wrong. Do keep in mind they do two kinds of poops, cecal and fecal, they re-eat the semi-digested cecal poops (usually they bend over and grab it from their bottoms as they do them) these poops are often green and apparently have an odour to them (I've never gotten to see one, they are very protective of their cecal poops) the fecal will be what you find in the cage these are brown with very little odour.

6 - Yes, guinea pigs are herd animals. A friend of the same sex is necessary unless one of them is de-sexed. They will need to be introduced properly, see this link for info about that https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

7 - This is personal preference, the most favoured type of beddings on this forum are fleece and uhaul pads or fleece with wood pellets. To use fleece you first need to prepare it so that liquids will wick away rather then pooling on the surface, to do this you need to strip the fleece of its coating (often by lots of washing with hot water, detergent with no fabric softener and bleach - don't worry it won't lose its colour). When using fleece the most important factor is what you put underneath to absorb the urine, which is where the uhaul and wood pellets come in, and you need to remove the poop daily or twice daily. Wood pellets seem to be the most favourable option, the only downside being their weight, as you do not need to change them for weeks with proper maintenance and there is almost no odour (make sure the pellets do not have a strong scent or it can cause repository damage to the guinea pigs).

8 - Not usually, sometimes you will get a traumatized guinea pig that will bite. If your guinea pig bites you when you pick it up you should look into the possibility it could have mites which make it painful when touched.

Also please adopt, don't buy from a pet store. There are many homeless guinea pigs in shelters and pet store guinea pigs are usually sick, pregnant, inbreed and they often come from breeding farms that keep them in horrible conditions. It is the general stance of this forum to be pro-adoption and anti-breeding (the anti-breeding is due to the dangerous nature of breeding guinea pigs, as the babies are very large in relation to the sow at the time of birth the risk for complication is high, couple that with the fact they can get pregnant again within hours after they birth and the baby boys can impregnate mum from 3.5-4 weeks of age).

It is also generally frowned upon to purchase directly from a breeder due to the shear numbers of guinea pigs in shelter or being re-homed on craigslist, these breeders add to the over population issues (not to mention certain types of guinea pigs, such as satins or roans, are prone to severe genetic defects, such as osteodystrophy and lethal white syndrome, that it is very irresponsible to breed them).

Vaygapawz

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the replies! 2x4 isn't too big at all! A wonderful size.

Should I get two pigs at the same time, or one at a time?

How much time and attention do they need daily? I can get pretty busy, but I should be able to fit in an hour or more each day.

Do the pigs travel well? I go camping every weekend and I would have to bring the pigs.

Are they noisy? A few chirps and squeals are totally okay, but do they get so loud to the point of keeping you awake at night?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you go camping every weekend, pigs are not for you. They do better in a settled, familiar environment. You also have to worry about temperature changes, and they're very susceptible to heat stroke at relatively low temperatures (mid-eighties).

Vaygapawz

Cavy Slave
It's more like glamping... I have a huge rv with air conditioning and it's always in the same spot. Very relaxed and quiet too. I think if I took the right precautions and got the pigs used to it, they should be okay. Anyone else's thoughts on this?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's not what I call camping!

They should be ok with that.

Vaygapawz

Cavy Slave
That's not what I call camping!

They should be ok with that.

Haha okay that's what I thought. I have sugargliders and they do fine out there.

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
Your post mentioned you wanting skinny pigs. I assume you mean hairless? Their needs are more specific than your standard piggy.

Vaygapawz

Cavy Slave
Your post mentioned you wanting skinny pigs. I assume you mean hairless? Their needs are more specific than your standard piggy.

Yes, I do want skinnies/hairless. I understand their needs are different, I will have a heat mat on one side of the cage attached to a dimmer in the cold winter months. I always have coconut oil on hand as well, I use it for everything! I will also make sure that my pigs are not near anything that can scratch their skin, and I will feed them a ton of food:)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Plain coconut oil isn't generally what's used for them, I don't think. Someone else with skinnies can weigh in on this. But I believe the recommendation is for cold pressed virgin coconut oil. You can also cook with that, but it's probably not the stuff that's in the food aisle at your grocery.

Vaygapawz

Cavy Slave
Plain coconut oil isn't generally what's used for them, I don't think. Someone else with skinnies can weigh in on this. But I believe the recommendation is for cold pressed virgin coconut oil. You can also cook with that, but it's probably not the stuff that's in the food aisle at your grocery.

I didn't know there was any other coconut oil other than the virgin stuff... I use it on my horses and my skin. It comes in a big jar, right?

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
I don't have any skinny experience either. So can't help with them.

Vaygapawz

Cavy Slave
Anyone else have any input?

I'm a little confused- on multiple websites about skinnies it is said that oiling the skin is not necessary. Can someone elaborate?

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I don't believe oiling their skin as necessary it is more that they are more prone to dry skin or irritations than guinea pigs with hair. If their skin seems healthy I wouldn't think they need any moisturizing, you would just need to be more aware for changes in their skin.

HansPiggies

Cavy Slave
I didn't know there was any other coconut oil other than the virgin stuff... I use it on my horses and my skin. It comes in a big jar, right?
Hi I have a skinny and you are right, you can use that stuff :) I've just bought some Calendula lotion from Gorgeous Guineas instead though which is good for dry skin on skinnies, it's helped mine so much, it's really light and absordbs instantly...it was £2.70 for a trial size pot which to be honest is going to last a while as you don't need much! Hope his helps!

Nubbin

Cavy Slave
I prefer an standard air humidifier (or vaporizer) in the room the skinnies are in when the air gets dryer. I also have a hairless dog (a chinese crested) and Its just easier to get some moisture in the air then try to rub lotion/coconut oil into their skin. (plus then you've just got a bunch of greasy animals lol) Dry skin hasn't really been much of an issue though.

Since their little tummy skin is so sensative I would recommend using fleece instead of something like wood chips or pellets. They have nothing to protect them from irritation and scrapes. Mine loves the fleece! Also, give him a little pocket to snuggle in when he gets cold. He'll love it. Hooray for fellow skinny owners!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.