Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Amazing what a few calls can do...

Homemom

Cavy Slave
Called the breeder back

Backed out of the sale - she was actually quite understanding (plus, my two sows decided this week to start sparring). Swallowed the deposit (hey worth it for principles) and will wait.

However, with the two girls acting up a bit and trying to figure out why, for the best that I hold off on even looking to adopt right now.

Plus, if I can manage it, I went to a farm stand I love that does a great fall set up. They have a dwarf bunny there ( :( ) that they said will be for sale after Halloween as they no longer need him. They have started renting small livestock :(. But this bunny was sold to them and they will only keep him the month.

Not sure how my allergies will do but I left a message with our local rabbit rescue in Manassas as see if I am willing to get him out if I can, will they take him. Not sure if I am ready for another rabbit and my allergies started to kick in there a bit.

Homemom

Cavy Slave
Well, (see called breeder back thread), I called the county that that farm stand is in.

So far, one of the safety departments is going to be inspecting because there are no handwashing facilities for anyone handling the animals (not even any waterless sanitizer out), broken toys for the kids to play on (missing pedals, broken handle bars, slides going onto solid surfaces, etc).

Animal control (waiting for call back if they need more info) is being dispatched to check on animal care issues. Two goats, two sheep, two rabbits, two ducks in a small pen (maybe 15' in diameter) with no food (I was there for 45 minutes today) and the ducks kept standing in the small water bowl which means they will also foul the water. Dog house too small for all the animlas to seek shelter in. No floor to dog house so they cannot get off of the wet ground. Dwarf rabbit in small cage with no food, water or shelter.

Hopefully they will get closed down. Most of the animals are not even theirs - they came from a rental agency from the sounds of it.

Luckily Sarah is down for a LONG nap (longer than normal today) so I was able to make calls uninterrupted.

No piggies there at all - mercifully. The other petting farm locally has had them in the past.

But to anyone with questions regarding care and safety.

Most communities have various agencies you can call for inspections to be done. If in doubt - call them all. In this case they issues fall under at least two agencies and if any illnesses come about due to lack of handwashing facilities and interaction with animals, a third.

If in doubt where to start for some issues, you can always start with the health department, they were very helpful with me as the lack of handwashing falls under another safety board.

:)

Fingers crosses something gets done. But the balls are rolling.

Homemom

Cavy Slave
Re: Called the breeder back

OK, added an extra food bowl to my girl's home as well as getting an extra water bottle. See if cutting down on competition for resources helps the sparring. If needed, I will add a second veggie hanger as well.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
If this is in reference to another thread, it's better to keep the posts on the same thread.

zakfoxmom

Cavy Slave

I would like to say that I am really happy that you chose not to continue with the breeder. While I understand where you are coming from with your son, I just felt it was not justification to contact a breeder for a guinea pig.

I had read a lot of your posts and really did not want to get into an kind of icky discussion on it and just kept my opinion to myself. Kudos to you :)

Homemom

Cavy Slave

Animal control called back yesterday while I was out than I had to run to teach. Anyhow, bascially though in our talk the other day, he felt there were definitely vissues, when he got there the only thing he could technically cite for were the ducks being able to stand in the drinking water. (County laws - they have the minimum provided and there was food out there at the time).

Now I just have to see if the health and safety crew can cite them for lack of handwashing facilities and unsafe playing areas.

At best I hope the owners were scared a bit.

I also think I will go back Halloween and see if the young dwarf cross they want to dump after is there. My husband is not happy as we do have many critters but I will call the rabbit rescue back or email them and see if they could take him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.