Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Happy to be here!

Lady Amelia

Cavy Slave
Hello All! I'm Amelia. I live in Eastern Washington and work as a receptionist. I bike commute to work (and have never driven a vehicle) I have a huge amount of interests including crafting, writing letters, tarot and other oracle cards, and love traveling to various Hotsprings and mineral pools. I could go on and on... :)

I have been attempting to rescue or adopt a piggy for the past few months, to no avail. So, I broke down and purchased a Mom Piggy and her last baby from my local mom and pop pet shop, yesterday. I originally had my eye on two babies (one with cute rosettes) but on the day they were ready to be sold, by the time I got there, there was only one female baby left. I didn't want her to be alone, so I took the Mommy too. I have yet to name them but there are really cute black and white short hairs.

I am wondering about post natal care for the mommy. Is there anything special I need to do for her?

The baby was born 4/30 is there any thing different I need to do for her?

Something I have not seen so far in my researching is requirements regarding temperature. Specifically heat tolerance. I have their cage in one of my upstairs bedroom so they can have peace and quite, but it gets warm up there. Do they do ok in hot summer weather?

Thank you for your time, I look forward to getting to know you all and hope to be able to contribute positively to the forum someday!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome!

No, they don't do ok in hot weather. They really prefer the temperature to be around 65-70, and can get heat stroke at 85 or above.

They also like companionship, and are not particularly interested in peace and quiet. You'll get a lot more enjoyment out of them, and they'll get a lot more enjoyment out of life, if they're in the middle of the action in your house. My cage is in my living room/den, right by the kitchen.

As a new cavy owner, you should read https://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html for general care, and https://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html for medical information.

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I'm sure others with waaayyyy more experience and knowledge will chime in here. Regarding temperature, they are very susceptible to heat stroke. Try to keep the temp between 65 degrees and 75 degrees. When you get around 80 degrees, you risk your piggies' health. Sounds like the room may get too warm.

They actually don't need "peace and quiet" as in some place where they won't be disturbed. They do best living "among the family" and having their cage in a place that gets a lot of people traffic....a family room or living room. They are social creatures. Just make sure that you provide them with hideys where they can go to feel secure. If you can, it sounds like you should bring them down to the main living area as it will give them a better temperature range and will give them a chance to interact more with the family.

Welcome to the forum!

Lady Amelia

Cavy Slave
Thank you both for the quick reply and warm welcome! I have two little dogs who bark a lot when I'm not home (which is why I had the piggies upstairs) but I will move them down to the cooler area and see how it goes.

The food pellets I'm feeding them is the same as what the pet shop was feeding them and as I read, I learn that it is not an acceptable food due to too many unacceptable ingredients such as corn and animal protein (which I suspected anyway). When I get them new food, should I gradually mix it in to make the change, or change it all at once?
Also, what do you think I should get for mine? There is a huge list of acceptable foods and I want to order it online (I verymuch doubt I'd be able to source it locally)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
KMS Hayloft pellets are the best on the market. Shipping is priced separately, but the cost of the pellets is low, and they'll wind up being cheaper than what you can buy in a petstore since you're so close to KMS. You can quit cold turkey unless your pigs go on a feeding strike, in which case, phase them in.

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
My pigs previously owners fed them the bad petstore food. When I adopted them, I stopped feeding them the petstore food immediately and switched to KMS. They loved it so much that they acted like pellets were a treat! So luckily I didn't have to gradually introduce them to new food.
As long as they are eating the new food, I wouldn't worry. If you have picky eaters, you may have to add some of their old food in to get them used to the new stuff.

Lady Amelia

Cavy Slave
Great thanks for the tips and feedback! I've just ordered the food (with the cool bucket and scoop, yes I'm a sucker!) and it should be here next week.

Now Im curious about your schedule on feeding. Should I give them their veggies and fruits in the morning before I go to work or wait until the evening when I get home and have 1x1 time with them?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Mine get fed three times a day. Just sayin'.

And FYI, they won't be interested in 1x1 time with you while they're eating, unless you're holding the food in your hand for them to nibble. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, comes between a guinea pig and its food!

So really, you can feed them whenever it's convenient for you. They'll adjust to your schedule, and will be quick to let you know when you're late with dinner.

Lady Amelia

Cavy Slave
Ok, I think I will feed them before and after work.
Thank you for all the support! I'm sure I will have tons of more questions on this delightful journey I've embarked upon!

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
Great thanks for the tips and feedback! I've just ordered the food (with the cool bucket and scoop, yes I'm a sucker!) and it should be here next week.

Now Im curious about your schedule on feeding. Should I give them their veggies and fruits in the morning before I go to work or wait until the evening when I get home and have 1x1 time with them?

Unlimited Hay and fresh water.
Mornings (Breakfast): Fresh Veggies
Evenings (Dinner): Fresh Veggies
Before I sleep, I give them their allotment of pellets

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.