Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello everyone!

PuddinCup

Cavy Gazer
Hello everyone! :) I just joined this site because I've been considering adopting guinea pigs. I don't feel comfortable sharing my exact location, but I am from a state in New England. (A part of the USA.) I own 2 cats, 2 dogs, and will soon be leasing a horse.

I'm still trying to figure this all out, but I would like to know everything I can to see if a guinea pig is the right animal for me. If anyone could give me some links and what not on the basics, that would be lovely!

Have a grand day! x

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Congratulations to you for doing your research BEFORE you got the pet!

See the tabs at the top of this page for links to several places that have good information. Read www.cavyspirit.com. Go to https://www.guinealynx.info and read both the Care Guide and the Medical and Emergency pages. Read the stickies at the tops of the forums here.

Guinea pigs are adorable, but not kittens or puppies. Some will eventually learn to snuggle, but most will not. They can't be potty-trained the way a dog or cat can. You need at least two of the same sex, because they're herd animals, but shouldn't be bred because of genetic issues and the high mortality rate of sows and pups. You need an exotic vet within driving distance, as small animal vets get little to no training in the care of exotics and can actually make harmful recommendations. The reputable ones will refuse to see a guinea pig because they don't know how to take care of it. Their vet care can be expensive.

If you decide to get one, please don't buy from a pet store or breeder. Pet store pigs come from mills where they're bred and raised in horrible conditions, and are often sold with illnesses, parasites, and/or unwanted pregnancies. Giving a home to a pig already in a shelter or rescue, or getting one from someone who needs to rehome theirs, will prevent participating in that awful breeding cycle.

Welcome to the forum! Hang around, and you'll find out lots about these great little critters. Most of us here are completely smitten with them, but they're not for everyone.

marykhaines

Cavy Gazer
Hello, everyone!! I just joined so I am not sure how to do everything on here yet but, I have four boars. I've had three of them for almost three years as we got them all within six months. The latest was a rescue and was near death but with some TLC and a lot of research, he is a lot better. Of course it will take time, but he has bumble foot, teeth problems, malnutrition, and he wasn't drinking at all. I smelled the water bottle he came with and it smelled worse then moldy vinegar!!! Some people shouldn't have animals, is all I will say but guinealynx.com is a wonderful resource and we have addressed all of his problems. He is gaining weight and drinking. I'm also giving critical care and that stuff is amazing!!! Anyhow, I've rambled enough. I just wanted to introduce myself.

bmt28

Cavy Slave
Hello, everyone!! I just joined so I am not sure how to do everything on here yet but, I have four boars. I've had three of them for almost three years as we got them all within six months. The latest was a rescue and was near death but with some TLC and a lot of research, he is a lot better. Of course it will take time, but he has bumble foot, teeth problems, malnutrition, and he wasn't drinking at all. I smelled the water bottle he came with and it smelled worse then moldy vinegar!!! Some people shouldn't have animals, is all I will say but guinealynx.com is a wonderful resource and we have addressed all of his problems. He is gaining weight and drinking. I'm also giving critical care and that stuff is amazing!!! Anyhow, I've rambled enough. I just wanted to introduce myself.

you are a good person with a kind heart! Welcome to the site. Happy learning! Can't wait to hear more about your guinea family!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.