Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet How often

Guineamama2000

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! I have a question in regards to cavy care. How often should I take our Jeffy Jeff to the vet for a basic checkup? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Guineadog

Cavy Gazer
Guinea pigs dont need regular check ups unless you want to.. the only time.they need to go to the vet is id there is something wrong with him. If you want to do check ups (which don't have to and.cost extra) I would say once a year or two. Some people bring their piggies monthly but that is for nail clipping which I do myself.
Hope I helped!
One of my piggies is 4 and has only needed the vet once and same for my 3 month old

Guineamama2000

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs dont need regular check ups unless you want to.. the only time.they need to go to the vet is id there is something wrong with him. If you want to do check ups (which don't have to and.cost extra) I would say once a year or two. Some people bring their piggies monthly but that is for nail clipping which I do myself.
Hope I helped!
One of my piggies is 4 and has only needed the vet once and same for my 3 month old
Thank you for the info. We've had our Jeffy Jeff for a little over a year. We just want to make sure he is in great health. He hasn't given us a reason to take him to the vet. His eating, playing and overall day to day activity is great. I'm still learning alot about piggies, and I don't want to leave any stone unturned when it comes to our Jeffy's health.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I only take mine when they're ill.

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
I agree, only when ill or injured :)

bmt28

Cavy Slave
I think the key is having the vet that can handle guinea pigs in your area identified before there's a problem. I need to do that myself.

Guineamama2000

Cavy Slave
I think the key is having the vet that can handle guinea pigs in your area identified before there's a problem. I need to do that myself.
Exactly. I definitely agree. I don't want to have to be calling around and not knowing if where I take him is a vet that really knows his/her piggy stuff. I wouldn't want to take our Jeffy somewhere where someone doesn't truly specialize in guinea pigs.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
I take my pigs once a year, because I want my vet to know them. I think it's important for your vet to have a baseline of how your pigs behave and their health, so that when something is off they can see it too. I think once a year is enough for a good vet who takes the time to get to know their clients. But, that's just my opinion.

Guineamama2000

Cavy Slave
I take my pigs once a year, because I want my vet to know them. I think it's important for your vet to have a baseline of how your pigs behave and their health, so that when something is off they can see it too. I think once a year is enough for a good vet who takes the time to get to know their clients. But, that's just my opinion.
Good idea.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.