Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi I'm Sarah and I just adopted Humphrey

AngryButterfly

Cavy Gazer
Hi! I'm Sarah and I just adopted a pig named Humphrey from another girl named Sarah who rescued him from a family who was neglecting him.

He is my second Guinea pig. I had a beautiful little black and white abyssinian teddy bear mix when I was in college that my boyfriend then husband now ex husband got me for my 20th birthday. I always fed her lots of vegetables from the time I first got her and played with her a lot, so she was very social. I used to take her to the park like a little dog. I loved her dearly and since I just turned 40 I decided it was finally time to get another pig.

My question is that Humphrey has been eating pellets and hasn't had fresh greens, I don't want to over-feed him greens but he likes them so much I think I did! his little butt looks dirty. How slowly do I have to introduce fresh greens to his diet? He was so happy when I gave him spring mix he did a popcorn dance and I couldn't resist giving him more.

4cavies

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

Was his poo runny? He may have just had too much. I have learned it is best to just give a small amount the first time they are tying something new. Maybe just give him a bit of a break, then try it out again in a smaller amount and see how he does. Some pigs do have bad reactions to certain veggies (tummy upset). If he ends up with an upset tummy again, I would give him another break and move on to something new. Has he tried any Timothy Hay or Orchard grass yet? Piggys need it and they absolutely love it, so he'd probably forgive you if you had to take a break on his spring mix LOL

pepperbelle

Cavy Slave
Gratz on your new piggy and welcome :)

Did u put your previous piggy on a little harness or something at the park? I was wondering about taking my piggies to the park this summer. :) We have been treating our lawn for the past 6 years and I dont want them eating grass or leaves from my own yard.

AngryButterfly

Cavy Gazer
Welcome to the forum!

Was his poo runny? He may have just had too much. I have learned it is best to just give a small amount the first time they are tying something new. Maybe just give him a bit of a break, then try it out again in a smaller amount and see how he does. Some pigs do have bad reactions to certain veggies (tummy upset). If he ends up with an upset tummy again, I would give him another break and move on to something new. Has he tried any Timothy Hay or Orchard grass yet? Piggys need it and they absolutely love it, so he'd probably forgive you if you had to take a break on his spring mix LOL

Yes, fortunately he came with hay, he absolutely loves his hay. I figured I probably gave him too much.

When I took Spike to the park usually I would just sit on the ground next to her and watch her because she was very tame and stayed with me. I didn't put her in a harness. I also made a special little portable cage with no bottom so I could set her in the grass and she could forage without dogs or birds bothering her. I would probably recommend the later as I think Spike may have been unusually tame as she spent a lot of time outside her cage.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I must say I am most excited to "meet" another 40 year old newbie cavy slave. I know you had one before but still. I get made fun of all the time for getting into so-called pocket pets as a grown woman...lol. Everyone teases me about it. Apparently this is an obsession you either get over in childhood or bring with from childhood. Congrats on your new pig :)

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
Congratulations! And welcome! Have you considered getting Humphrey a friend? Guinea pigs are very social animals, and do best with another piggy of the same gender.

It's great that you helped save him! Agreed, you should start out a bit slowly. Guinea pigs can never have too much hay! (Well, maybe alfalfa) As long as he had it in his previous home, there's nothing wrong with giving him an unlimited supply of hay, unless it was only fed in small amounts in his old home.

pepperbelle

Cavy Slave
I must say I am most excited to "meet" another 40 year old newbie cavy slave. I know you had one before but still. I get made fun of all the time for getting into so-called pocket pets as a grown woman...lol. Everyone teases me about it. Apparently this is an obsession you either get over in childhood or bring with from childhood. Congrats on your new pig :)

I am not 40 yet, but I will be 37 in April. :-D Can I hang out with you guys too?? LOL.

pepperbelle

Cavy Slave
NEVER put a cavy on a harness despite seeing them in pet stores! :sick: Their spines are quite fragile and it would be easy to cause injury. Better to zip-tie a few grids together and close the circle with a binder clip to make a small pen. That way you can relax while keeping them close to you. If you do go to the park, Be sure to watch for airborne predators.......they can strike in a flash.

Thank you for the tips. GREAT idea on making a small portable pen with grids! I may try that...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've got you both beat. I was well into my sixties when I got guinea pigs.

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
I think that is one of my favorite things about this forum, we have people like me who are in high school and people who are in their sixties! I love that there is always a person to give you a different view based on what they have done in their lifetime!

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
Yes, fortunately he came with hay, he absolutely loves his hay. I figured I probably gave him too much.
You didn't give him too much! Actually, they need an unlimited amount, as hay is the main thing that helps grind their teeth down. Have you considered getting him a friend? As far I can tell, your first pig was by itself as well. Guinea pigs are herd animals, so they need a friend.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
@pepperbelle I mistakenly got a leash/harness (which I never used). They are very dangerous, the same with wheels and balls (hamster ball type things). Please don't use one. If you take him to a park, make sure to find out if the grass is treated. Most parks use weed killer and fertilizer.

pepperbelle

Cavy Slave
@pepperbelle I mistakenly got a leash/harness (which I never used). They are very dangerous, the same with wheels and balls (hamster ball type things). Please don't use one. If you take him to a park, make sure to find out if the grass is treated. Most parks use weed killer and fertilizer.

Thank you. I definitely will not get a harness.

I treat my own grass, which is why I am interested in maybe taking mine to a (pesticide-free) park.

Once this god-forsaken snow goes away, I will have to check out some local parks and see if there is someplace fun we can take them - hopefully with a playground so my kiddos can play, too. Hehe. :)

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I've got you both beat. I was well into my sixties when I got guinea pigs.

Did everyone think you'd lost your mind?! My husband joked that maybe he should start shopping for long term mental health facilities for me...lol

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
aww i love it when they popcorn. :) welcome

mamaduck71

Cavy Slave

I am 44 and got my first pig, well Pudge is my daughters but I prolly take care of Pudge more then my daughter does. I am in Love. If we ever become empty nesters, we wont be, I think I am hooked on piggies!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.