Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Midwest Guinea Habitat Plus

lianyc

Cavy Gazer
Hey guys!

I ordered the Midwest Guinea Pig Habitat Plus, I read that its 9sq ft all together and I can install a little ramp to create a kitchen area.
I have two 6 weeks old baby girls that I will be adopting tomorrow and would like to see, if possible, ideas and accommodations anyone else has with the same cage.

Thnks in advanced :D

Svenandolaf

Cavy Slave
I have the cage and overall it's pretty big and nice. The only bad thing is the canvas bottom. Just make sure you clean the canvas really good every time u change the cage. The good thing is you can wash it or orders new one.

abbygmariee

Cavy Slave
I have that one currently and even though I plan on creating a C&C cage, I've had this cage for about 6 months and it's pretty sturdy. My Guinea Pigs really have fattented up so it does get smaller as they get bigger. However, it's a great cage overall. It's pretty sturdy as I have a 60 pound Pitbull and it's hard for her to move it at all. The canvas bottom is a little difficult but it is easy to clean and you can also replace it. I will probably defiantly end up keeping it and using it as like either a quarantine cage or like to put new Piggies in there. But otherwise, I would say it is a great cage overall.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
It's pretty sturdy as I have a 60 pound Pitbull and it's hard for her to move it at all.
It might be hard for her to move it, but I'd suggest using caution with this cage around large dogs. I have a few of these cages and they are NOT strong enough to withstand an intentional attack by a large/aggressive dog. I have three dogs that weigh 50, 60 and 80 lbs and while none is aggressive toward the pigs, just roughhousing or a clumsy misstep would be enough to knock the sides down/in. It's a great cage, but it's not the most sturdy if you have other, predatory type pets.

dearpokey

Cavy Slave
Hey guys!

I ordered the Midwest Guinea Pig Habitat Plus, I read that its 9sq ft all together and I can install a little ramp to create a kitchen area.
I have two 6 weeks old baby girls that I will be adopting tomorrow and would like to see, if possible, ideas and accommodations anyone else has with the same cage.

Thnks in advanced :D

Here is what it can look like using the divider (don't pay attention to the expansion) but I quickly realized that this took too much away from the rest of the area
Midwest Guinea Habitat Plus

So here was my next attempt at figuring out using a kitchen w/o the divider

This is not the set-up I have now but it gives you a good idea on what it could look like. You will probably, like many of us, want to expand since there are so many awesome things that can be done!

abbygmariee

Cavy Slave
Yeah, defiantly. She's not allowed in the room (They're kept in my Dad's room right now until we switch rooms) unless someone else in there and I do plan on creating a very sturdy C&C cage with a top with like multiple zipties. My Midwest is also on a wooden stand so its quite tall but still, she's kept a close eye on when she's in there.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I agree completely that you do not want to put the divider up. These cages are on the small side and putting up the divider just makes the cage choppy and doesn't leave any space for running room.

If you would like a kitchen area you can buy coroplast and make a litter box insert for the cage.

The cage is not 9 square feet though. It measures 24 inches by 47 inches which equates to 7.83 square feet. This is fine for pigs that get along well but it is not huge.

I personally have 2 Midwests and they work well for what I need. I have a pair of sows in each cage and do well. You need to be sure you don't clutter their cage so that they have places to hide but still have plenty of space to run.

For bedding I have fleece liners and I have litter box made out of coroplast for their kitchen which I put yesterday's news cat litter in. This is a great combo and it is what works best for me. Using loose bedding in a Midwest is a pain because the sides are very low so i wouldn't suggest shavings or carefresh for the entire thing.

The cages definitely NOT sturdy at all, my 10 pound foster cat sitting on the lid almost collapsed the whole thing in! I live in a rental house for 8 months of the year and the Midwest's are my school cages. When I'm home for summer I have stacked 2x4 C&C's because the Midwest's would not stand up to my animals. At home my family has 6 cats and a Jack Russell, all of whom could easily destroy the flimsy cages.

Here are some pictures of my set up just to get some ideas.

Geranium

Cavy Slave
I liked this cage until I started using fleece. One of my girls turned into a burrower and always ended up getting under the fleece and surrounding herself with soiled towels and newspaper, which is no good. Fleece is too dang cheap to pass up so I ended up having to cut holes in the fleece to fit it through the Velcro straps positioned around the cage. This made it impossible for her to burrow, but it's such a nuisance when cleaning the cage as I have to undo each Velcro strap and there's like 15 -- not to mention measuring and cutting new fleece.

DrewBooDS

Cavy Gazer
I agree completely that you do not want to put the divider up. These cages are on the small side and putting up the divider just makes the cage choppy and doesn't leave any space for running room.

If you would like a kitchen area you can buy coroplast and make a litter box insert for the cage.

The cage is not 9 square feet though. It measures 24 inches by 47 inches which equates to 7.83 square feet. This is fine for pigs that get along well but it is not huge.

I personally have 2 Midwests and they work well for what I need. I have a pair of sows in each cage and do well. You need to be sure you don't clutter their cage so that they have places to hide but still have plenty of space to run.

For bedding I have fleece liners and I have litter box made out of coroplast for their kitchen which I put yesterday's news cat litter in. This is a great combo and it is what works best for me. Using loose bedding in a Midwest is a pain because the sides are very low so i wouldn't suggest shavings or carefresh for the entire thing.

The cages definitely NOT sturdy at all, my 10 pound foster cat sitting on the lid almost collapsed the whole thing in! I live in a rental house for 8 months of the year and the Midwest's are my school cages. When I'm home for summer I have stacked 2x4 C&C's because the Midwest's would not stand up to my animals. At home my family has 6 cats and a Jack Russell, all of whom could easily destroy the flimsy cages.

Here are some pictures of my set up just to get some ideas.

View attachment 72319
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your shelving set-up!!!

We have two girls and each is in her own Midwest cage, because they do not get along. These cages have worked very well for us except for the amount of room they take up in our home. Did you construct this yourself? Has it been constructed from scratch? created by "hacking" some kind of shleving unit, furniture, etc.? I would love to have my husband create a similar set-up for our little furballs. Any information or suggestions on how we would be able to create somthing like yours would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.