Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece Questions. Newbie!

piggy_mom

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Hi, i am a newbie at fleece, and i am getting 2 1 year old sows for my 2x3 c&c cage. I will be using fleece with wood pellets and i have a couple questions.

1. How many yards of fleece do i need? I won't be folding any over the sides of the cage or anything.

2. How often should i change out the fleece and how often to wash them?

3. are there any tips on how to make the fleece wick in just 1 wash?

4. should i add anything to the washing machine when wicking fleece? (i've heard of adding vinegar, dish washing detergent, borax etc.)

5. How many pounds of pellets do i need?

I think thats all. Sorry if the questions are stupid. :(

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
1 40 pound bag for the pellets. I wash my fleece once a week. 1 yard should be enough.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
With such a small cage you'll need to wash the fleece more often, I'd say every 3-4 days depending on how messy the girls are.
When I had two sows in a 2x5 the fleece would get really dirty by the end of the week, so size really does matter with fleece & I wouldn't bother using it in anything smaller than a 2x4. Wood pellets will work much better & you can just add a few fleece pads for comfort.

miniver

Cavy Slave
3. I don't know of any way to make it wick after only one wash but I've had good luck soaking the fleece first. I fill the washer enough hot water to completely cover the fleece, add 2 or 3 cups of vinegar and soak for 30 to 60 minutes. Then, finish the wash cycle with detergent. Other people use bleech instead of vinegar, but I don't have bleach on hand.
Sometimes it will wick after two tries but never the first time.

Don't rush to put the fleece in the cage if it's not wicking. You'll end up with a stinky, messy cage and stinky, messy piggies.:sick:

piggy_mom

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
thanks guys!

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
I know you already got some answers, but I wanted to throw my two cents as well lol
I want to ask if there is any way you could extend the cage to a 2x4? A 2x3 is a bit cramped for two sows.. and with the more room, the longer you can go without completely changing the fleece.

1. one yard of fleece

2. Kind of going off of what I said, since you have a smaller cage, the mess in more concentrated, so you'll have to completely change it every 2-3 days, and spot clean about twice a day.

3. I dont know about ONE wash, but a bit of vinegar and a bit of detergent with HOT water will wick it quickly :)

4. Whoops! just answered that! ^^^

5. A thirty or forty pound bag of pellets should be good

I hope I helped :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.