Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Is this cat Wood Pellet safe?

April2014

Cavy Slave
Hi!
I was wondering if this wood pellet safe to use for piggies?

It is cat wood pellet and it's the one available around where I live.

Currently, I am using a few layers of newspaper with 1 layer of fleece but it starts to smell after 2-3 days....
So I want to try wood pellet but that's the only one available...

Any advice?

Thanks!

Attachments

photo.jpg

puckerNkicker

Cavy Slave
I use fleece too and you do have to clean it every 3 days but can last longer depend on how messy your piggies is. I never use that or any our cat litter because everywhere I read it said it's not good for guinea pig. Try pine or aspen those smells good and safe for them to eat it. Guinea pig would try to eat anything they can reach so that's why I don't use cat litter. I suggest use it as a base and put fiber glass over and cover with newspapers and hay. Hope any of these can be a little help. Good luck!

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
Most wood pellets are fine @puckerNkicker many of us use them regular clumping cat litter is not. I'm not sure if these specific wood pellets are ok though someone else can answer that. I use Esquisicat paper pellet litter in one of mine it's not really cheap though but last a long time with the fleece on top.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Email the company and ask if the pellets have been kiln dried. What's safe for cats is not necessarily safe for guinea pigs. Cats get in their litter box, do their business, and get out, so they spend very little time exposed to any phenols from the pellets. Guinea pigs live on the pellets, and if they're breathing the pine odors, they can not only wind up with foot problems, but with lung and liver problems as well.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Pine pellets should have less phenols left than pine shavings. The problem I found is sometimes they add cedar oil back in to the cat litter pellets. Check if it has any ingredients list on the back. The ones I saw had it listed on the bag. Otherwise you would have to contact the company to ask if they add cedar oil or any other scent to their cat litter. I'm not sure how obvious the smell would be if you just opened up a bag.

April2014

Cavy Slave
@puckerNkicker @Pawesomepet @bpatters @aqh88

Thank you for replying!
I emailed the manufacturer and here is the website for the wood pellets. I cannot see kiln-dried on it. But I will wait for their reply.

https://www.busybeegardencentre.co.uk/products/pet-care-and-aquatics/pet-care/petface-wooden-pellet-cat-litter-5lt.html

It does say "Bi-product of sawmilling" on the bag...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.