Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump Cyst/Tumor

Faith.Lightpool

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig has a pea sized lump on his chest. It seems to only be attached to his skin and not the muscle underneath but i'm still worried. Should I take him to the vet and get it removed? Money is tight and I don't want to take him unless it is life threatening.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A vet is the only one who can determine whether it's life threatening or not. But if you take him it, the vet should be able to tell you whether or not it needs to be removed. Many pigs have fatty tumors that are benign and can be left alone unless they're in areas that make it painful or difficult for the pig. Others could possibly be abscesses, and removal or drainage isn't a horribly expensive process. But abscesses do need to be drained, or they may burst and spread infectious material all over the place. Sometimes lumps are malignant, in which case they need to be removed.

But removing something that's under the skin and isn't attached to the muscle is usually an easy process. I hope you'll take him for an examination and at least see what's going on.

Faith.Lightpool

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I'll go in to get it checked out just in case.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.