Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Upper level help

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I've been through the photo galleries to find what I am looking for but don't see it, so I will ask. I am about to foster some pigs from the local rescue. They have brought in 30 pigs in the last month or so and have 5 pregnant females coming soon, so they need foster homes. My cage already takes up an entire room, so the only way I can add a cage is to go up. I currently have a 4x4 and a 2x4 connected by a little bridge. I was planning on putting another 2x4 above the 2x4 I have now. The 2 cages will be separated by a 1 grid "layer" on 3 of the 4 sides, to make cleaning my current 2x4 possible. I hope this makes sense. The side I plan to leave open (no grid layer) will be a 4 grid side. Does anyone else have this sort of configuration, and if so, will the upper level be stable? I use connectors instead of zip ties, if that matters.

prettynyguen

Cavy Slave
Hi, It sounds like you have your hands full! When I had a multi-story cage I tapped my connectors in with a rubber mallet to make sure they were really sturdy and the grids didn't pop out. I also used Zap straps around all connector sites to make extra sure everything stayed in place. It was a very sturdy cage. Good luck with all your foster guinea pigs :love:

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
Wow, those are a lot of piggies! I envy you. ;)
From what I've heard, those cages are very stable, but I've never had one of my own and I am not a cage expert.
Good luck! :love:

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
Wow, those are a lot of piggies! I envy you. ;)
From what I've heard, those cages are very stable, but I've never had one of my own and I am not a cage expert.
Good luck! :love:

LOL....I don't have that many pigs. A rescue the next county over has taken in that many in the last month. They are in desperate need of fosters. I only have 3 pigs, and hope to foster 2 once I can get my cage supplies, now that I know it will be stable without the support of grids on one side :)

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
Lol. But I still envy you, I only have 2! ;)

miniver

Cavy Slave
Ha, ha. I mis-read the same thing but I didn't envy you. I thought you were crazy!lol

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Here's a pic I found in the gallery:
I'm assuming this is what you're talking about? It doesn't look like they have any extra supports in their cage, so it must be sturdy enough. However, adding a wooden dowel going across underneath the upper level might help support it more.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
Yes!! I kept looking for that exact layout but couldn't find one. Thanks! Now I just have to put in another order to the GPC store, buy (and sew) more fleece and I will be ready for foster piggies. I'm so excited lol

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Most do have the support added, you just can't see it.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
As it turns out, I think I have come up with a solid alternative that does not involve me getting a boom truck to clean the top cage (my cages are already on a 3 ft tall stand). It will be easier for me, and less lonely for the piggies on top. I have this as a back up if my new idea flops.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.