Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Newbie owner: my adopted girl shook off blackish liquid droplets

Cheshire Cats

Cavy Slave
Hello,
We adopted 2 girls from a reputable GP rescue a week ago. Both are eating lots & seem to be acclimating really well.
This morning, my daughter told me one of them was shaking her fur and black specks flew off. They do scratch a little & i was worried I might find flea dirt based on her description. I went in ASAP & saw small blackish shiny liquid droplets on her potty pad where she had been standing. What is that?! It was like liquid specks and there was sort of a greenish hue to it. Advice, please and thank you!

YinYangPiggies

Cavy Slave
I've never seen anything like this, surely someone here will be able to help though!

Cheshire Cats

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I'm starting to wonder if they have mites. I thoroughly examined the one who shook off the droplets and she has little sores in several spots under her hair--maybe those little black droplets were blood from scratching? I'm a little upset since I just adopted them, but think I need to get to a vet ASAP.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It's a good idea to have them checked out. You might want to contact the rescue first--they might treat the pigs for you at the rescue and not charge you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.