Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Cloudy eye caused by hay what to do?

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig Maezie was being held when I noticed her right eye was cloudy and dark and had a tiny piece of hay in it. I'm very scared I took the hay out but I would like to know what I should do for her eye.
Would rinsing it out be good or does she need to go to the vet

Thanks Hallie

I would definitely take her to the vet. Eye injuries are extremely painful. I believe the vet will give you eye drops or an ointment.

Hopefully someone with more medical knowledge about hay pokes can help you out with more detail but I'm sure everyone will say a vet visit is needed.

Okay Thanks I will make an appointment. But i any one has any further advice that would be welcome.

Since it is labor day we cant get her in until tomorrow. Can she wait that long? Is there anything I can / need to do to make her eye feel better?

Please anyone with experience please give me something to make her more comfortable

You can gently rinse her eye with normal saline. But only a vet can prescribe pain medication and an antibiotic ointment. This is one time when you don't necessarily need an exotic vet -- GP eye injuries are pretty much like any other animal eye injuries. If you use a non-exotic vet, go over to Guinea Lynx and print off the list of antibiotics that guinea pigs can't have -- you don't want them to give her an antibiotic she can't tolerate.

I will say that my boy Han recently had a bad hay-related eye injury, and thanks to they eye drops the vet have him, he has recovered very well. Just wanted to mention that in case you are worried she won't get better. Also, if there is a safe and sanitary way to remove the hay, that might be a good idea. Han had a fairly large ulcer due to the hay rubbing his eye ball (he had a huge inch-long piece wedged in the corner of his eye.

Thanks. Im At school but my mom will be calling and making Maezie the first appointment available and taking her. But I checked her eye this morning and it is still rally cloudy and looks kind of scratched witch is my main concern :( SO I will update you guys when My mom text me. @bpatters @ginipigsinspace @sallyvh Thanks for the advice

Last edited:
Crackle has cataracts, and has impaired vision, so she has had two hay pokes this year. We just got over one injury. They usually heal quickly once treated. Our exotics vet prescribed an antibiotic called Fucithalmic Vet Eye Gel. She also prescribed an eye drop called I-Drop Vet to help soothe and protect the eye. All the best!

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice. The Vet has informed me that she has a ulcer on her eye. We were given eye drops to put one drop in her right eye three times a day. She is behaving so well for me when I put the drops in. The Vet says some pigs react well to the drops and some don't. We have a recheck in a wheek ( haha). But I wanted to ask how much others have spent on similar appointments and conditions. For the checkup/ appointment and eyedrops the cost was $86. I am under age of 18 so It is a lot of money for me. I do have a piggie savings so everything is fine, but I was wondering how much others spent?

The cost sounds reasonable to me. A regular office visit to my vet is about $55, plus any tests and medicines.

But do keep putting money away for vet costs. You never know when a pig is going to need a vet visit, and they tend to be expensive.

Another update! Its only day two and her eye looks so much better I think the eye drops are helping!! yay!

That's excellent news!

Thanks for all the support guys!! Maezie eye is doing great it is just slightly cloudy in the corner and still a little red. She goes beck to the vet next friday and i get to take her!!!! This is the first time that I will meet her. She is always telling my mom how impressed she is with my animal care and maybe wants me to volunteer there. I will take a picture when I get home from school and show you guys how happy maezie is But thats all for now

$250 for male to be neutered
$160 for Minnie's UTI visit including meds
$360 for Sandy's bloat issue

Thank goodness for overtime pay.

This happened to my Twix..Go to the vet..They will help get it out, and give you eye drops to help with infection and ease the pain..Twix was fine 2 days later..

Whoops. I didn't read thru the entire thread...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.