Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Cause of death?

jakaflakah

Cavy Gazer
Last night I came home from being out all day. I had left the house that morning around 7:30. When I left I gave Reina fresh grass and water. She was fine squeaking and running as usual. I work very early so Reina was used to being up at 5:30am with me squeaking for her hay everyday that I had work. But today when I got up after my alarm I was greeted with no squeak. I looked over in her cage and she was laying down on her side all stiff. The night before when I got home I got her fresh grass and water again and she barely looked at it. This was out of character for her (of course guinea pigs love to eat) so I pulled her out of her cage and laid her on my chest. She didnt run or squeak when I touched her so I knew something was wrong. I tried to hand feed her the grass but she just looked at it. After about 30 minutes I put her back in her cage and said i'd take her to the vet Monday because I knew it was closed on Sundays. Before I could she was gone. Im so sad I feel like I just lost my baby. Does anyone know what could have been her cause of death?

trenbeau

Cavy Slave
it could have been anything. I know that URI's are very common and the symptoms are easy to miss (a little bit of wheezyness, discharge from nose). But there's really no way to know for sure. I'm so very sorry for your loss. RIP Reina.

jakaflakah

Cavy Gazer
it could have been anything. I know that URI's are very common and the symptoms are easy to miss (a little bit of wheezyness, discharge from nose). But there's really no way to know for sure. I'm so very sorry for your loss. RIP Reina.

Thank you :( I didnt notice any wheezing or runny nose but maybe it happened that day while I was gone?

starrgazerr

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry, I'm sure you took great care of her and did all you could do

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
The only way to potentially know would be to have a necropsy done on her.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
It could have been bloat which can come on suddenly, how old was she? I'm so very sorry for your loss, RIP little Reina.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.