Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Wobbling, weak movements before death

KittynDelilah

Cavy Gazer
Hey,,

So a few months ago I had rescued a guinea pig who was malnourished and had issues being touched on his lower back. After a while he started getting better, started trusting me and all around being the sweetest boy.

We didn't know his age but he was an adult. One night, almost a month after I brought him home, he was sleeping and I put some kale in his cage which usually gets him to wake up and eat. This time, he didn't wake up, and I had nudged him awake. He wobbly walked over to his bowl, tripping in the process, and making this really faint whine noise. He ate a little, and when I woke up the next morning he had passed.

So obviously he's not alive but I wanted to know what could have caused this. I have two new baby guinea pigs now and fear something might happen similarly.

Thanks.

Ps. He had no issues prior to that night other than the sensitive lower back.

With a good and proper diet, your pig should be fine. It was likely scurvy (lack of Vit C) from poor diet:

Symptoms include lethargy and unwillingness to move, painful joints, poor condition, weight loss, dental issues, bruising or hemorrhage, diarrhea, and a rough coat or alopecia

I think being wobbly before death is common in small critters. I had 2 hamsters act like that before dying (old age and the other was possibly a cardiac issue), and my guinea pig Chico did that before he died at the ER.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.