Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Covers please help me with my lid

Andrea23r

Cavy Slave
I purchased a 2×4 c&c cage with no lid, figuring I could make one. I have grids, connectors, and zipties, but I'm a little brain dead on how to make it so it can flip open and stay open (like the ones advertised for sale on the cages with covers page) 1406153042046.jpg

I've been trying for hours but can't make it. Someone help?

Danii

Cavy Slave
I think the lids on the cages here are just cable tied on at one side, I could be wrong though.

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Is your lid to keep the pigs in or to keep cats and other animals out? If it's to keep other pets, I'd probably go with a closet shelving lid since it's sturdier.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
You just zip tie the back like a hinge and binder clip it shut. Also I noticed your lid sinks in the middle. To fix that you can buy the wonder bars on the guineapigcages store. Or you can try and make something similar to them. To go with what @spudsthepiglet said if the lid is to keep other pets out I would get some closet shelving.

lost_lover

Cavy Slave
The lids in the cage store do not use the connectors, that is why they fold. They also overlap grids more to make it a bit more sturdy. I totally agree you should get a wonderbar or two as well so the lid stays up.

I bought my lid from the cage store. It is not as sturdy as shelving would have been but with the amount of grids overlapping and the wonderbar I have not have a single issue with my cats napping on the cage.

Not the best photo, and the cage is gross, but gives an idea of what I mean with the overlapping.

Last edited:

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I have the bar that goes in the middle and another part that helps it flip open that I never used. I purchased my cage from the store here and got a lid that I didn't need afterall. Perhaps I could send them to you? They are just collecting dust in my basement. PM me if interested :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.