Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C I found 32 grids in my garage!

KaLeigh

Cavy Slave
I have 32 grids, several hundred zip ties and a 72 x 36 sheet of the Home Depot "twinwall" plastic sheet. Help me plan a C&C cage for my two female pigs [emoji6]

I was thinking about a 2 x 3 base and a 3 x 4 cage but can't get the coro to calculate right, so then I started planning a 2 x 4 with loft but I'm lost there. Haha, I'm mathematically challenged!

I want to use fleece and uhaul pads (already have a bunch) and would like a kitchen area.

Help! Pretty please...

If you click on the "Main" tab at the top and then on the left of the screen the "how to" make a C&C, it has example measurements for coro inside different size C&Cs :)

For a 72 x 36" sheet, you can make up to 2x4.5 cage with 4.5" sides. That means score at 4.5" on all sides.

Are you planning to make a stand?

If your cage will be on the floor, you only need 12 grids for a 2x4 cage. You will need another sheet of coroplast if you want to make a loft.

See this page for how to make.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

I was going to make a stand if possible (I said base earlier)

I have been looking at the cage kits for sale for inspiration, but I'm not finding where it says how many grids used.

Oh, and I don't have connectors, so having a bit of issue getting it stable with only zip ties (aka cable ties)

I am using the taptalk app if that makes a difference

Last edited:
And thanks for the link lissie, that helps a lot. :)

You can make a 2x4 with a stand! And you can make an upper loft with your coroplast!

I've found that different brands of grids are slightly different in size so you need to calculate for the grids you have. The way I do it is to set up the outer grid section first and measure the inside. I use a metal yardstick which makes it easier. Keep in mind that you will score and fold the coroplast to make the sides and there's a thickness to it, so you need to add the slight difference to the length and width so the base fits into the grid outer section and isn't too big or small. If you overlap the sides on the ends, you have doubled the coroplast on both ends. Coroplast is a bit more than 1/8" thick so I add about 1/2" to the calculation of my width and about 1" to the length. After I use a pencil to draw the lines on the coroplast where I intend to make my cuts, I place the grid shell on the coroplast and make sure the markings look like the base will fit right inside the grids. I use the metal yardstick as a guide when I score the coroplast for the folded sides and when I do the cuts through the coroplast. I think through each cut before I do it so I don't make any mistakes.

Make sure the grids have 9x9 holes if they are the 14" grids. 1.5" holes to be exact. Anything with larger holes is dangerous.

They are the safe grids. That was the first thing I checked :D

A regular 2x4 uses 22 grids, but the grid-saving version uses 16. You have enough grids and coroplast to make a 2x4 with a stand, but no loft unless you buy more supplies.

Hmm..ok. so I need more coroplast and I can get some of the Target grids for the stand. Home Depot had a 24 x 36 sheet for $8. So then I'll be set for a stand, 2 x 4.5 cage and a loft, correct?

If get new grids for the stand, you'll use 14 grids on your cage. Then you can make a 2x2 loft, but that would use a 36x36 sheet of coro... I'm guessing you just want a 2x1 loft?

Man...
ok. then I can spend $14 and get another 72 x 36 piece of the twinwall and make a 2 x 2 loft with coro left over for... something. haha

A regular 2x4 uses 22 grids, but the grid-saving version uses 16. You have enough grids and coroplast to make a 2x4 with a stand, but no loft unless you buy more supplies.

What is the "grid saving version"?

The regular version is the one that the cages store sells, and the "grid-saving version" is where you put grids on the bottom of the cage, and do the grids for the stand like this (I found the pic in the stands photo gallery):

The regular version is the one that the cages store sells, and the "grid-saving version" is where you put grids on the bottom of the cage, and do the grids for the stand like this (I found the pic in the stands photo gallery):

I have tried this with my cage. It is very wobbly.

Here's a design that uses exactly 32 grids.
A 2x4 with stand and a 1x2 loft.

I found 32 grids in my garage!

You will need something to block the side of the loft. The sample design is doable with a 24" x 36" coroplast. It's better if you could get the 36" x 72" sheet, so you can make higher sides.

Here's a pic of my old loft.
(broken link removed)

I did it! I need more zip ties to finish but it's ready as-is. I put it on the old coffee table for now until I can get the other grids for a stand. I know, they need hay. Going to the feed store now :)

Here's a design that uses exactly 32 grids.
A 2x4 with stand and a 1x2 loft.

View attachment 67327

View attachment 67328

View attachment 67329

You will need something to block the side of the loft. The sample design is doable with a 24" x 36" coroplast. It's better if you could get the 36" x 72" sheet, so you can make higher sides.

Here's a pic of my old loft.
(broken link removed)

Am I allowed to use the word Amazeballs here? Cause Lissie, you are totally Amazeballs!

Am I allowed to use the word Amazeballs here? Cause Lissie, you are totally Amazeballs!

Thanks!

@KaLeigh I love your new cage. If you don't need the coffee table for something else, you could just keep using it as a stand.

We do not recommend those hay balls you have in the cage. They are hard for the pigs to get hay out. They also don't hold enough hay. Pigs can get trapped in the ball. I've seen a warning pic somewhere on the forum. The ball came out of the hanger and a pig got trapped inside.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.