Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grids grid: head stuck (she is alright!)

akobell

Cavy Slave
I had one scary afternoon today. I was cleaning their cage today and while I was doing that I let them run in the pen (grids + plastic sheeting/uhaul/fleece bottom) as I always do. Today for some reason, when I opened the door, Totoro got freaked out and "dashed into" the grid "with great speed" and her head went though and got stuck. She is NOT a baby (not even young young)pig and I never thought her head would even fit. Wrong. Oh so glad that my husband was home. I kept her calm (and kept myself calm, boy it was hard) while he cut the wire and freed her. I can't even imagine what she was going though (thinking end of the world or something close to that) and I don't blame her a bit. Right now Totoro and MilkTea are "visiting" me as I type this (my desk is right next to the cage). I'm impressed how she is acting the way she does after that ordeal. She seems to be eating, drinking, interacting with Milktea...etc like she does everyday. I'm so very thankful. btw, I bought those grids from Amazon (9x9 holes).

Now, I MUST MUST MUST cover the grids - at least bottom 2-3 rows with something - plexiglass/plastic...etc and I need to secure it on to the each grid ... I prefer something clear and it would be nice if those panels "hold up" for storing when I need to move it...etc. Right now I'm just brain storming.... You never know if your pig's head could go through it or not until it does!!! aww, all the adrenaline rush and relief I felt today.... I think I will sleep good tonight (and I truly hope for that for Totoro!).

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I'm glad she was okay, you must have been so scared! You could get some 14"x4.5" pieces of plexiglass and attach one to the bottom of each grid, it would cover the lower three holes and be hardly noticeable.

pinky

Cavy Slave
How did he cut the grid with her head stuck in it?

daisy1cow

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
something like this will work too, but clip the fleece on the inside if it is long enough.
grid: head stuck (she is alright!)grid: head stuck (she is alright!)

akobell

Cavy Slave
Thank you all so much for your post. Totoro is doing great - just being her normal self, which is wonderful and that makes me feel so thankful. Doubling grids - I never thought of that idea! The fleece idea (with pic) - cut the fleece (enough to cover bottom 3 ) and attach with clip? in your picture, it looks like it's wrapped around something or it simply folded in half and attached? Either way, it looks great and super easy to wash. Plexiglass or doubling grids or fleece wall - I know how much the grids and fabric/yd...etc but I have no idea how much the plexiglass sheet costs. I'm going to make a trip to Home Depot or something like that and take a look around. Thank you so much for the idea and sweet messages concerning for Totoro. and Pinky asked - what my husband used to cut the grid. He used "tin snips" (hopefully I can post the photo here). He could only use the very tip of those blades (because there was only small room to work) so it was not a easy snip but they got the work done. I always make fun of my husband buying all kinds of "tools" :) but I'm so glad that he had the right tool for the moment.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
We have the new Pig-a-boo windows on sale this week (subscribe to the Guinea Pig Wheekly for weekly deals). They are 20% off and would work like a charm for you.

grid: head stuck (she is alright!)

Coupon code: GPW-PIGABOO
They are currently $1.83 (normally $2.29).
https://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/pig-a-boo-window

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I am totally buying those pig-a-boo windows! Ferb taught Penny to chew the grids and now she is obsessive about it and driving me nuts (and I'm worried she will break her teeth).

akobell

Cavy Slave
CavySpirit, where do I sign up for the guinea pig Weekly?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
CavySpirit, where do I sign up for the guinea pig Weekly?

There is a big sign up form on the main forum page on the right-hand column.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I signed up and it seemed to work, but I never got any emails. I'll try signing up again to see if it works this time.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I signed up and it seemed to work, but I never got any emails. I'll try signing up again to see if it works this time.
If you are on the list, you should have received your newsletter on Wednesday evening. Check your spam folder. If you sign up now, you won't get the last one, just the next one next week.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I signed up a few weeks ago, but nothing happened after I confirmed my subscription. I just never received the newsletter, I checked my spam folder. I just signed up again, hopefully I'll get it next week.

akobell

Cavy Slave
CavySpirit: I just signed up and as you mentioned above, the newsletter goes out on Wed. night!!!!! so I won't get the newest newsletter (nor weekly deal) :-( I was seriously considering "pig window" when you told me about them because it's already cut to size, easy to install...etc. 20% off would help if you need to buy a lot but unfortunately I'm a new subscriber. Thank you for letting me know about the newsletter though. I come and visit this page every day and I didn't even see it lol. Your pig window design looks great.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
CavySpirit: I just signed up and as you mentioned above, the newsletter goes out on Wed. night!!!!! so I won't get the newest newsletter (nor weekly deal) :-( I was seriously considering "pig window" when you told me about them because it's already cut to size, easy to install...etc. 20% off would help if you need to buy a lot but unfortunately I'm a new subscriber. Thank you for letting me know about the newsletter though. I come and visit this page every day and I didn't even see it lol. Your pig window design looks great.
I gave you the coupon code already. You can use it through this week until next Wednesday! :) Coupon Code: GPW-PIGABOO

akobell

Cavy Slave
wow! Thank you for the coupon code :)

PiggleLove2013

Cavy Slave
Scary! I had a similar experience when I bought the WRONG (VERY wrong) grids (5x5, ouch). My pig had been out for floortime but he was freaked out, and kept getting behind furniture, so I decided to put him back. Long story short he dashed into the grids, much like your pig, as I was trying to lift him over the grids and his head was stuck (fat pig, very fat ;) ), my mom helped me get him out immediately, and thank God he was okay, but he and I were both very freaked out after that (I was shaking and still tearing for nearly an hour, I thought I was going to lose him) and he wouldn't move very much. We were both okay afterwards, (Santa voice) but a good lesson to you children, never buy those pesky Target grids.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.