Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss Guinea pig not eating

fuzzywuzzy

Cavy Slave
Hi, recently both my guinea pigs have been losing a fair amount of weight. I wasn't measuring their weights before but last week when I took them out, I noticed they were significantly lighter and so I measured their weights and they were around the 600g mark which I know is very light for a 1-2year old guinea pig. I visited a vet but she did not seem to know what the problem was and there's no exotics vet near me.

For now, I've been feeding then critical care and vegetables which they seem to eat very eagerly. They're only touching the hay but from what I can see not eating a lot and not drinking either. They are less active than before. There has hardly been any poop since I've started feeding the critical care which is a worrying sign. I'm not sure what to do from here on out. Would you guys know roughly what could be causing it, or what I should tell the vet to do? I don't think I gave them enough veggies before (once or twice a week) so could vitamin c deficiency be the cause? I'm giving then bell peppers and some vitamin c supplement currently. Also, the vet charged $130 for a consultation and some critical care. Is this regarded as expensive?

thanks

Rywen

Cavy Slave
That cost sounds about right for the visit and meds for 2 piggies. I don't have any advice for you so hopefully someone else will. I know if they stop pooping entirely they need to go to the vet immediately.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Post where you are and maybe folks here can find a good exotic vet not too far away. Vet bills will vary from state to state to even within the city. First time consultation and check up with my vet is $120 per pig. This does not include meds or xrays. Just a good look.

fuzzywuzzy

Cavy Slave
OK thanks. I live around the Epping region of sydney. Should I visit the same vet again? She said that the second checkup would be free.

fuzzywuzzy

Cavy Slave
update: unfortunately one passed away however the other one is still alive so I'm concentrating on him at the moment. I took him to another separate exotics vet and she said that vitamin c defiency was probably preventing him from eating hay by himself. I have been giving him vitamin c daily along with veges but he's still not eating hay by himself. I've even swapped brands of hay. He is pooping very little amounts and is not drinking. His poop is deformed and more soft than usual but not diaherrea. What should I do? What could it be?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Did she check his teeth, including the molars? How much vitamin C are you giving him? Does his stomach feel bloated?

If he is not drinking then you need to get moisture into him somehow, you could wet down his vegetables before you give them to him. If that doesn't seem to be hydrating him enough you might have to syringe him some water, but if you do then do it slowly as water is easy for them to aspirate.

fuzzywuzzy

Cavy Slave
Did she check his teeth, including the molars? How much vitamin C are you giving him? Does his stomach feel bloated?

If he is not drinking then you need to get moisture into him somehow, you could wet down his vegetables before you give them to him. If that doesn't seem to be hydrating him enough you might have to syringe him some water, but if you do then do it slowly as water is easy for them to aspirate.

She checked his molars and said they didn't look too bad. I'm giving him 1/5 of a 500 mg tablet. His stomach doesn't feel bloated. I have been wetting his veggies.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'd give him half the pediatric dose of baby simethicone a couple of times a day in case he's suffering from bloat. If they don't eat for awhile, their digestive tract shuts down and they can develop gas. You can tell if you thump his abdomen and it sounds hollow. Once they stop eating, it's critical you hand feed until they start eating on their own. It doesn't sound like a vitamin C deficiency to me. They'd be hopping instead of walking and they'd start dragging their back legs as it progressed. Have you been feeding guinea pig pellets? If so, they're fortified with vitamin C and they would also get it from vegetables like carrots and bell peppers. What kind of vegetables have you been feeding them and what type of hay and how much? You need to be extremely careful if you attempt to offer water in a syringe. If he aspirates it in his lungs, he can end up with pneumonia.

fuzzywuzzy

Cavy Slave
I'd give him half the pediatric dose of baby simethicone a couple of times a day in case he's suffering from bloat. If they don't eat for awhile, their digestive tract shuts down and they can develop gas. You can tell if you thump his abdomen and it sounds hollow. Once they stop eating, it's critical you hand feed until they start eating on their own. It doesn't sound like a vitamin C deficiency to me. They'd be hopping instead of walking and they'd start dragging their back legs as it progressed. Have you been feeding guinea pig pellets? If so, they're fortified with vitamin C and they would also get it from vegetables like carrots and bell peppers. What kind of vegetables have you been feeding them and what type of hay and how much? You need to be extremely careful if you attempt to offer water in a syringe. If he aspirates it in his lungs, he can end up with pneumonia.

He eats his veggies and critical care very readily by himself, just not the hay. I haven't been giving him pellets but his vegetables include bell peppers, carrot, lettuce, and broccoli. I'll try the simethicone. How much is a paediatric dose? All this not eating the hay thing started a few weeks ago after it switched hays. The new brand didn't seem as fresh, so could it be that? I have since switched back but he's still not eating. His poo is now quite soft and is clumped together.

pinky

Cavy Slave
He eats his veggies and critical care very readily by himself, just not the hay. I haven't been giving him pellets but his vegetables include bell peppers, carrot, lettuce, and broccoli. I'll try the simethicone. How much is a paediatric dose? All this not eating the hay thing started a few weeks ago after it switched hays. The new brand didn't seem as fresh, so could it be that? I have since switched back but he's still not eating. His poo is now quite soft and is clumped together.

Don't offer broccoli. It causes gas and might be the culprit causing the loose stools. Offer romaine, green or red leaf lettuce, endive, escarole, radicchio, no more than a baby carrot a day. 1/8 of the bell pepper offers a full daily supply of vitamin c. Since he's pooping, he's not suffering from bloat so you don't need the simethicone. What type and brand of hay are you offering? Grass hay should be the primary food source. If he's not eating what you bought, get a fresh bag of what he ate before. If it's yellowed, he's not going to eat it. It should be nice and green. Mound it high on the bottom of the cage so he can climb into it if he wants. That might be the catalyst to get him to eat it.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Infant simethicone dosage, I can tell you what Ferb & Penny's vet prescribed when they were sick with GI infections which is 0.8cc for Penny, she weighs ~650g and 1.0cc for Ferb, he weighs ~950g. Both were given it 2-3 times per day. Guinealynx.com may have the dosages for it. I used little remedies for tummys which is fruit flavored so they loved it.

fuzzywuzzy

Cavy Slave
Don't offer broccoli. It causes gas and might be the culprit causing the loose stools. Offer romaine, green or red leaf lettuce, endive, escarole, radicchio, no more than a baby carrot a day. 1/8 of the bell pepper offers a full daily supply of vitamin c. Since he's pooping, he's not suffering from bloat so you don't need the simethicone. What type and brand of hay are you offering? Grass hay should be the primary food source. If he's not eating what you bought, get a fresh bag of what he ate before. If it's yellowed, he's not going to eat it. It should be nice and green. Mound it high on the bottom of the cage so he can climb into it if he wants. That might be the catalyst to get him to eat it.

Ok I'll stop with the broccoli. The meadow hay is unbranded and it just comes in a bale. I have given him the previous hay which is greener and fresher but he's not really eating it. I'll try mounding it. Should I stop with the critical care? Maybe he just prefers that over the hay?

fuzzywuzzy

Cavy Slave
Also everytime I lift him up, there's always some poop still protruding out which I am gently pushing out. The poo is like a mush.

fuzzywuzzy

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately he passed away this afternoon. It was quite sudden death. Thanks for the support guys.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.