Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Just adopted two new guinea pigs!

WonderfulWinks

Cavy Gazer
Hello all!

My name is Jenny, and I am a new guinea pig mom. My two little guys, Oliver and Clyde, were surrendered at the pet store where I work about two weeks ago. In their previous family, they belonged to two young children, who seemed to have lost interest in them after the novelty wore off. After a lot of begging and pleading, I convinced my boyfriend to let me bring them home. I'm looking forward to giving them the best life possible.

Although Clyde and Oliver were originally cage mates, I've had to separate them after the vet found a severe, infected bite wound on Clyde's hind leg. It was touch and go with Clyde for a few days, but with medicine and TLC, he's made an excellent recovery. I currently have them in separate cages that I got from my work, but I am looking to invest in making a c&c cage after reading all about them here. I think they will be much happier with more space.

Since I'm a first time guinea pig owner, I've got lots of questions! So I'm looking forward to talking with y'all and getting some advice and insight. :)

Congrats on the Guinea pigs!!! You should post some pics! :crazy:

Welcome! Keep a close eye on Clyde's leg so it doesn't abscess.

Hi and welcome to the forum! Thank you for giving Oliver and Clyde a loving home!

Welcome to the forum, great idea to build a c&c for them, I would go for a 2x5 minimum, but if you have the space for bigger, by all means. Congrats on your new boys!

hello and welcome to the forums
enjoy your self here
happy posting

Thanks everyone! Here is Clyde:

And Oliver:

What cute boys! Glad Clyde has recovered from his injury! I just wanted to add, as I see a lot of carrots in the cage, that guinea pigs should just have 1 baby carrot a day. There's a great chart here that tells you all about what veggies are safe and how often to feed them. Your piggies should get a cup of veggies per pig daily. Bell peppers and lettuce should be staples in their diet.

Oh thank you! That is very helpful... I've been trying to figure out what veggies to give them & how often, and that's exactly what I needed. I just discovered that Oliver is a huge fan of cilantro.... I bought some this morning for a recipe, and it was buy one bunch get one free at the grocery store. So I gave them both a little bit, and Oliver went nuts! Clyde's still not so sure about it. :)

hello and welcome

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.