Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is this the right medicine?

Sammy and Peanut

Cavy Slave
Hi. I just took my guinea pig to the vet today and the prescribed amoxicillin and Vetropolycin HC. Are these medications okay? I've heard that sometimes vets prescribe things that can be harmful to guinea pigs. Please help!

Amoxicillin is penicillin. It will kill a guinea pig. If I were you I would definately find a new vet. I don't know what this vet was thinking to prescribe this as its common knowledge even to non guinea pig owners.

OK. He already gave it to me. What should I do??:important

What are some other safe meds for URI?

I think Baytril is the most commonly prescribed antibiotic for a URI. I know its weekend but can you get to a vet before Monday? I certainly wouldn't give the amoxycillin as it could be fatal. I'm not familiar with Vetropolycin either but I would check with Guinealynx like Wheek Wheak suggested. There's a lot of very knowledgable people on there.

OK. Thanks. I read it and it said that bacitracin was dangerous. And the Vetropolycin ismade with bacitracin. OMG. I really have to get a new vet. We went to the vet about an two hours ago and he gave him a shot of I don't what, and some of the Vetropolycin in his right eye. If these things were to kill him would they have already, or would it take a while?

The shot was probably an AB. One dose may not hurt him but repeated doses will.

Here's the link to safe antibiotics- Guinea Lynx :: Antibiotics.

As far as the Vetropolycin HC, it's an eye ointment. I did some researching and looking on gl myself. The eye ointment is safe and can only be used in the eyes. It's only toxic if given orally. It's basically BNP ointment with hydrocortisone. When I dealt with eye injuries in Chatty and Finna my vet prescribed BNP which is bacitracin, neomycin and polymyxin b.

I would call the vet and ask for a different antibiotic and let him/her know that amoxicillan is toxic to guinea pigs.

Today is Monday and I called the vet. He said that amoxicillin is only dangerous when given the standard amount. He told us to use three drops, instead of the standard amount. He also told us that he has been using amoxicillin for thirty-seven years. Is that true that it will be OK? It doesn't matter anyway, because we asked for something else and today he is giving us Baytril. I was just wondering whether he was right or not.

I've never heard that. Just because something is given in smaller amounts doesn't mean it's not still toxic to them. Amoxicillan is toxic to pigs and that's the bottom line.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.