Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sticks in Oxbow hay?

banjosnotbombs

Cavy Slave
I bought some Oxbow timothy hay the other day, and when refilling the hay rack a few minutes ago I found these twig things.
It's probably completely normal, but I know nothing about growing hay, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what these sticks are, and if it's ok to continue feeding the hay after I pick them all out.
The rest of the hay looks great, it's just these twigs and branches.

Here are pictures:
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

Thanks!

There are sticks in all hay. I highly doubt it will be poisonus or anything! Espically in Oxbow. Now I dont use the hay that my goats get for this reason, I have seen full plants in those bales! I would think the biggest concern was physical injury, like pokes.

It is normal to find things in the hay. The other day I found a grasshopper that was dead in the hay. Just remove it and your hay will be fine.

I got similar looking sticks once, well, they were more like dried weeds/little bush things. The supplier reckoned from my photos that it was tumbleweed and harmless. If you can, remove them. It's a pain, but unfortunately unavoidable!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.