Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Found this in my Oxbow Hay...

guinea parade

Cavy Gazer
So we were scared for our pigs' lives when we found what we thought was blood dried in urine. We were frantically looking up kidney and bladderstone comparisons to find that there were these twigs in our hay with a reddish tinge. When simulating a test chew ourselves and rubbing it on their fleece, it made the blood-like stain.

They have never been found in hay before, and we want to know how dangerous it is or if they coild even be identified. At this point all the twigs have been removed from their home and the bag.

Can anyone help?

Attachments

20220223_162451.jpg 20220223_162442.jpg 20220223_162516_HDR.jpg

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
I can't say what type of twigs these are but to me they just look like they were mixed in with the hay when it was harvested. I've found things like this on occasion when I've gone through my hay. When hay is harvested many things just get into the mix. I wouldn't worry about them being dangerous. You did the right thing by just looking through the hay and removing them. I had a friend who purchased a large bale of hay and halfway the bale she found a dehydrated dead mouse. I'm always amazed that we don't find more unusual things in our hay.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Every county in the U.S. has a county agent. Someone in that office should be able to identify it, or point you to someone who can.

guinea parade

Cavy Gazer
Thanks for your insight! We have been going through hay for almost 10years now with our piggies, and this our first encounter with nonhay items in a bag.

I will have to look them up thank you for the suggestion!

SSLee

Cavy Slave
I've found a number of different twigs in my boxes of hay over the years but they look different from the ones @guinea parade shown. With my current 20 pound hay from Rabbit Hole, I've found almost 20 flatten bugs and am only half way through the box. I've ordered from Rabbit Hole multiple times and this is the first time to have dead bugs.

urofan

Cavy Slave
I find things in bags of the sweet meadow hay brand of hay. I have seen twigs in bags of Oxbow brand hay, but I get rid of them so that my pets don't eat them.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Since this thread popped up again, I'll add my SPS findings - aside from sticks, I've found a few pieces of blue plastic. There is no way they could have made it into my boys' cage, so I'm just assuming it was SPS. I'm glad I found it before the pigs did.

urofan

Cavy Slave
There was a fire at the oxbow farm so maybe this came from one of the buildings. I've also found pieces of blue plastic in some Oxbow white pure comfort bedding, and I mailed it back to them, and they told me that they did not know where it came from.

Last edited:

urofan

Cavy Slave
There was a fire at the oxbow farm so maybe this came from one of the buildings. I've also found some pieces of blue plastic in some Oxbow white pure comfort bedding, and I mailed it back to them, and they told me that they did not know where it came from.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
279016795_539617504416790_8560944940617638567_n.jpg

I'm about 3/4 of the way done with a 25 lb box of SPS, and I found this super dead cricket when I set hay down for Amigo. I thought it was just another stick or something, but I'm pretty sure that's a cricket. I emailed SPS since I also have found bits of blue plastic (string? wire?) in this box.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You're ALWAYS going to find things in hay. Harvesting and packaging it is a very mechanized process, and more than 120 million tons of hay are grown per year in this country. From start to finish, nobody's looking at it for bugs or tiny inclusions of any sort. Unless you want the prices to quadruple, you're better off to pick out the stuff yourself than to complain to the company. If they have to check it all before they sell it, you won't be able to afford it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.