Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Moving Across Country, Tips?

Woody1786

Cavy Slave
Hey guys,

I'm in the military and will be getting out here soon. I have two Cavies (Doc Holiday and Wyatt Erp). With me getting out, I'll be moving across the country and I'm looking for tips on how to transport the little guys. Have any of you moved your guinnea's long distances? What do I need to know? What should I expect?

Please help.

Thank you!

pandaloki

Cavy Slave
I love the names! How many hours is it? The longest I've been through is 3 hours, I didn't have a carrier that time so I used a huge box. I placed news paper, shredded news paper, lots of hay, and a rag that came from their cage so they won't feel so separated from their old home. I used cucumbers to keep them hydrated. You also might want to check these out
https://www.ehow.com/how_2341467_safely-transport-guinea-pigs-car.html
(broken link removed)

KD006

Cavy Slave
Woody, most motels/hotels are pretty cool with caged pets but make sure you ask before checking in. I brought my parrot from NJ to CA and think I only encountered one place that said no.

Keep your food handy and feed them on schedule, secure the cage or carier in the car in case of an accident, avoid massive temp changes which might mean you need to do the fast food drive throughs if you are traveling in hot or cold weather.

Kristin

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The user KristenMatejka just moved all the way across the country with a whole herd of pigs. I'd PM her to see how she managed it.

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
My husband was Navy and we traveled once from FL to MN with piggies in tow. We used one of the large sized petstupid cages (I know it's a no no but it was only for travel in the car) We kept the water bottle attached even though it leaked most of the trip, we just made sure to put a towel under it so it wouldn't soak the bedding and get the pigs sick. We hooked those jump cables, the ones like bungie cords with hooks on the ends to the cage to secure it to the car in the back where you'd hook a child's car seat in so that it wouldn't slide around. We gave veggies on time at rest stops and they seemed to do fine.
Thanks for your service and good luck in your future. We were Navy and now we're a Google family. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.