Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss Losing hair on nose

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
My pig had a clump of hair stuck together the other day on his nose and the next day the whole clump of hair was missing. A few days later another clump was missing but this time it left a bloody spot. I worried that he may have been in a fight with his cage mate, but I saw no aggression between them so I thought maybe he scratched his own nose.

Today I noticed his nose was missing even more hair and it looks like there is some kind of gooey stuff on his nose that has dried. There also is a smaller spot of it under his lip. I REALLY don't think it's snot. He has no gooey stuff near the nostrils or crusty eyes or bad breathing or anything. He is 2 days away from finishing his his Bactrim for a urinary issue, so I doubt that he could be sick. I don't know. Any ideas?

Losing hair on nose

Ummm well from time to time a male piggie gets these urges that need to be delt with...

Too funny! Pretty sure that it is just boar "glue" His nose looks very clear and healthy so I agree that it is not snot. The bit on the chin gave it away because mine get it on their chin from time to time.

Keep a close eye on him just to be sure. Grrr messy boys! lol They always get their junk everywhere!

The OP said that he had a clump on his nose and it fell off. Its possible he pulled it off because it pinched his skin and pulled on it with his little paw too hard and it tore the skin a bit. Boar glue is very very sticky and hard when it gets dried. The OP stated no other symptoms. But of course you should watch him closely and check for flaking skin, excessive itching and such...

Well, OneTwo, your theory is definitely an interesting one and I'm not dismissing it. He has be "gluing" up the cage a lot more lately, messing up the fleece as he goes. I have "caught" him once or twice and were able to wipe off the evidence before it could get rock hard and be stuck there for eternity.

Camerafreak, we have dealt with mites before and the first place any skin issues show up is in the 2 rosettes on his behind. The skin is pink there and we noticed the mites at work almost immediately. I gave him a good look over yesterday and didn't find any lumps, bumps, bugs or bald spots, nothing of concern. Thanks for the links, I looked them all over.

I haven't had a chance to attempt washing this off his nose. I will do it when I get home from work tonight. If I have a very hard time getting it off I'll assume it is boar glue until I notice anything else.

I bet it's boar glue ! The only other possible thing that comes to mind is fungus. Onetwo has had a lot of boars so I bet it is just that !

Anyone else love LOVE her boar's sweet piggie lips and nose ? Oh how cute is he ! Your pigture sure gave me a chuckle and put a big smile on my fat face !

I'm not going to lie... this thread made me chuckle. Hehehe. I really hope that it is just boar glue & nothing serious.

I noticed the exact same thing with one of my boys a few days ago! I had never considered the idea that it was boar glue...

Ah, the joys of keeping pigs!

I bet it's boar glue ! The only other possible thing that comes to mind is fungus. Onetwo has had a lot of boars so I bet it is just that !

Anyone else love LOVE her boar's sweet piggie lips and nose ? Oh how cute is he ! Your pigture sure gave me a chuckle and put a big smile on my fat face !

LOL! Sometimes he lets me gentle rub my finger tip on his lips, they are SOOO soft... :)

Ohhhh how sweet is that Nicolene !! You are so lucky ! He does have the sweetest pink lips and nose that I have ever seen ! Just too cute for words that pigture.

It was boar glue, he's all healed up again and his hair grew back. Hopefully he won't stick his nose there again... haha

Haha or at least he will get quicker about getting his face out of the way. lol I'm glad it was nothing serious. As soon as I saw the pic I just KNEW as I have had that many times before when I had my 12 males someone always had it on them... Haha darn messy males! Would love to see new pics of those sweet piggy lips! Hehe

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.