Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables How to measure leafy veggies

Number1Sticky

Cavy Slave
This may sound like a strange question but. When I measure leafy veggies for my guinea pig, am I supposed to pack the lettuce in the measuring cup or should it be loose?

1 cup of veggies a day is a rough estimate. You can seriously just eyeball it. I measure a cup by grabbing a handful, fingers spread apart. Watch for soft poos and adjust accordingly.

I'm more critical of how much calcium rich veggies I give, so be more mindful when feeding blue or purple coded veggies from the nutritional chart. (found in the nutritional section up top)
For example, I only give a couple of stems of parsley per pig or split a medium sized leaf of kale between two. One of my pigs can't even consume purple coded veggies because he is more prone to excessive white spots. Keep an eye out for the calcium deposits and adjust. Some white spots are normal as long as they are not gritty. They should instead be powdery.

It will get easier the more you keep an eye on white spots and poop.

i stay away from parsely altogether and give cilantro instead since ther are so alike.
Is kale high in calcium, also does it have a strong taste?

i stay away from parsely altogether and give cilantro instead since ther are so alike.
Is kale high in calcium, also does it have a strong taste?

Kale is listed as a purple. I give it once a week in small amounts with the exception of one pig. He shows white spots more easily and can't have as much higher calcium veggies. Kale is delicious, but piggies have different tastes. It does have a bold leafy green flavor.

Parsley has immune boosting properties and kale is packed with sulforaphane( an anti-cancer compound), so I do give it to my piggies that can tolerate it.

I pretty much just eyeball it. But I just wanted to kinda get a starting point.

I do feed kale. But only twice a week and in small amounts.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.