Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet They only eat veggies

mumof2

Cavy Gazer
Iv tried everything, when I got them I was told that they don’t actually like veggies and only eat pellets. Although for 3 whole days they didn’t touch there food so I tried them on veg and now it’s the only thing they will eat. I have bought the same brand my 2 piggies was eating before but they still won’t touch it. Is this safe for them? Any advice would be lovely

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Iv tried everything, when I got them I was told that they don’t actually like veggies and only eat pellets. Although for 3 whole days they didn’t touch there food so I tried them on veg and now it’s the only thing they will eat. I have bought the same brand my 2 piggies was eating before but they still won’t touch it. Is this safe for them? Any advice would be lovely
No, it isn't safe. The one thing they should have 24/7 access to is fresh Western Timothy or orchard grass hay. Too many veggies will cause digestive upset, improperly worn teeth and a whole host of other problems. Fresh water and hay are the two most important things they need on a daily basis. My advice would be to leave fresh hay in their cage at all times, and withhold the veggies.

mumof2

Cavy Gazer
No, it isn't safe. The one thing they should have 24/7 access to is fresh Western Timothy or orchard grass hay. Too many veggies will cause digestive upset, improperly worn teeth and a whole host of other problems. Fresh water and hay are the two most important things they need on a daily basis. My advice would be to leave fresh hay in their cage at all times, and withhold the veggies.
They do eat hay, it’s just the pellets that they refuse to eat

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
What brand do you offer them?? Have you tried other pellet brands?