Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Warm Guinea pig in my backyard. will he make it? and advice on catching

this has been the most exciting threat ever! So glad you got him/her and that face is beyond cute!!! He sounds like he is happy and so glad he is safe and warm. I love the name ideas...Juniper is perfect.

What an absolutely wonderful story !! You are the BEST ! I am so glad he/she is so friendly. You are off to a good start !

Well, I'm 99% sure we have a boy!

He did really well last night in the tub. He slept in my robe for most of the night. He's finally completely dry (even though I used the hair dryer, he was still a little damp down at the base of his fur.)

When I got up this morning he was hiding in the top of our cat carrier we put in the tub for him and did a little running from me but after I put him for a few minutes he was happy to be picked up. I put him in my Mia Wrap (baby carrier) and cut up some apples and bananas and he happily took some from my hand and ate them while snuggled in the wrap. I let him roam the bathroom while I cleaned the tub out and my husband showered and when I put him back in he happily roamed around, sniffed his food, took a sip of water and ran into his 'house'.

On another note... man do these little boogers poop a lot!

Yup, they sure do poop alot lol!!! And that is good that your little rascal is happy and willing to let you pick him up and feed him :)

:D Yay, so happy you caught him! Very cute piggie.

Omg about the poop, I have never seen something poop sooo much. I have 4 girl piggies and wow can they fill a cage. I also have 3 cats and even they dont poop like the pigs do.

Not that you would ever forget the last 3 days...but you should write it down with the few pictures you took of first spotted, after the hunt and now. Thank you for sharing that with us!
My 11 year old son would say every couple hours...did they catch it yet? He was also concerned like we all were.
With how much time invested in him ....I dont know if i were you if i would be able to give him up. But we all know you will do whats best for you all.
Thank you for being a kind person to do all that for one little piglet!

Not that you would ever forget the last 3 days...but you should write it down with the few pictures you took of first spotted, after the hunt and now. Thank you for sharing that with us!
My 11 year old son would say every couple hours...did they catch it yet? He was also concerned like we all were.
With how much time invested in him ....I dont know if i were you if i would be able to give him up. But we all know you will do whats best for you all.
Thank you for being a kind person to do all that for one little piglet!

Definitely agree with writing it down. :) He is just too cute. I've been following this though I am a slow reader. now that I'm all caught up, I can't stop "awww"ing about how cute he is!!

I know!! I was amazed at the amount of poop myself. I had never been around piggies before so I had no idea. They're so great though it makes me overlook that one aspect :) And sweeping the fleece is just more time we spend together.

:DSo happy that you caught the little guy and that he is safe now!

Hooray! What a beautiful pig! I had been meaning to join GPC for years but this post made me join and get started to tell you how happy I am for you and your new gift! I hope you find a loving GP home for this truly special pig! Thats if he doesn't win your heart :)

I have been glued to this thread! I am so happy you were able to catch him!!! Thank you for your perseverance!!!!!

I just have to post this. That little guinea pig survived an entire day and an entire night of this.
Guinea pig in my backyard. will he make it? and advice on catching

Then almost another entire day of it raining and turning that into a big slush!

It was a good 8 or 9 inches of snow. That Juniper bush really provided some good shelter for the little fella!

And ya'll are too kind. There was no way either one of us could let him just sit out there and die without trying to save him. Everyone's advice and encouraging words meant so much to all of us. I'm so glad this was the forum we turned to!

I've been eagerly watching this thread and am so happy that you finally caught him! Might I just add that Juniper is a cute and ironic name. lol I read that you gave him veggies and fruits, but is there anywhere near you where you can get hay and possibly pellets for the little fella?

We are going to Walmart when my husband gets home. (i'm from the south and too scared to drive on these roads!) I'll get what I can at Walmart tonight, I know they have water bottles, pellets and my husband said he saw the little pigloo things. Then tomorrow we are going to Boise to get the cube things (I found some on craigslist) and coroplast and fleece to line and if Walmart doesn't have the timothy hay then I'm hoping petsmart will and we can pick some up then. :)

Save the trouble and get the pellets from Petsmart...Oxbow is best (it's in a red and yellow package-more expensive but better I think!) ...the pellets at Walmart are just not so very good.

Walmart should have hay, get Kaytee. My piggies don't like Oxbow, they prefer Kaytee brand.

We are going to Walmart when my husband gets home. (i'm from the south and too scared to drive on these roads!) I'll get what I can at Walmart tonight, I know they have water bottles, pellets and my husband said he saw the little pigloo things. Then tomorrow we are going to Boise to get the cube things (I found some on craigslist) and coroplast and fleece to line and if Walmart doesn't have the timothy hay then I'm hoping petsmart will and we can pick some up then. :)

Just a suggestion: Walmart pellets aren't great to feed, it's not a huge deal if they're just temporary to get some food into him but ideally you would want to get either Oxbow or Kleenmamas (both available online). In the meantime, try to get plain pellets that are timothy based. No pellet mixes, nothing with seeds or coloured bits. Glad this had such a happy ending! :)

Also, get some green pepper, red leaf lettuce, etc. I found that the cheapest fleece that Walmart sells does nothing as far as wicking away pee, even after washing it 4 times. If you can, spend a little more and get the better stuff (like $8ish/yard) or pick up some fleece blankets as these will work much better. Our Petsmart sells Oxbow pellets until you can order online (Oxbow online is a lot cheaper). So glad he's doing well. He is adorable!

Yaaaay!!! I'm so glad you caught him! :D I just read through this and WOW what a drama! He's such a cutie too!!! So are you guys for sure going to keep him?

(I too agree that Juniper would be an awesome name!)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.