Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Warm Guinea pig in my backyard. will he make it? and advice on catching

Also, get some green pepper, red leaf lettuce, etc. I found that the cheapest fleece that Walmart sells does nothing as far as wicking away pee, even after washing it 4 times. If you can, spend a little more and get the better stuff (like $8ish/yard) or pick up some fleece blankets as these will work much better. Our Petsmart sells Oxbow pellets until you can order online (Oxbow online is a lot cheaper). So glad he's doing well. He is adorable!

So maybe I'm a little confused b/c I thought the purpose of the fleece was to absorb the potty and you just wash it a few times a week or something. So do you put the coroplast on an angle or something to it wicks it to the edge?

And I figured walmart pellets weren't the best but I figured it would do until I made it to Boise. We don't have very many options that I've found here in Mountain Home. The little guy seems happy as can be chowing down on my fruits and veggies though. Any off limits fruits or veggies? Is there a certain amount of fruit or veggies that he needs in addition to pellets and the always available hay? Or is it the other way around and he needs pellets in addition to a certain amount of fruits and veggies?

Thanks!

Can't wait to see his cage! You are so awesome for helping this poor possibly dumped piggy. The little guy just needs some love. =D

Ideally he will get 1 cup of veggies and about an 1/8 cup of pellets a day with as much hay as he wants.

The fleece is used to wick the pee down to a more absorbent layer. I use Uhaul pads as an absorbent layer under my fleece and it works very well. Think of it like a cloth diaper for your guinea pig cage. =D Check out this thread for a TON of information on using fleece as bedding.

Use this chart as a good starter guide to picking out veggies for your new piggy. Red and Green Lettuce, cilantro and green pepper should be a good place to start though if you just want to grab something tonight.

We are going to Walmart when my husband gets home. (i'm from the south and too scared to drive on these roads!) I'll get what I can at Walmart tonight, I know they have water bottles, pellets and my husband said he saw the little pigloo things. Then tomorrow we are going to Boise to get the cube things (I found some on craigslist) and coroplast and fleece to line and if Walmart doesn't have the timothy hay then I'm hoping petsmart will and we can pick some up then. :)

I had to smile at your snow comment. As you know things come to a grinding halt in TN when there is a little snow. I work at Austin Peay and we opened late last week because we had a little on the ground.
Wal Mart is a great starting point for your supplies. I am not sure what kind of pellets they have there though. Might be hard to find some that are timothy hay pellets but try to if possible. Petsmart will definitely have Oxbow pellets and hay for you.
You have really hit the ground running with his cage!
I have been telling everyone about this story.

Living in Idaho, the shipping costs probably aren't too high for KM Hayloft hay and pellets.... I'm so excited and happy for you. It's like it was meant to be for you to have that little guy.

As soon as I had time today, after having meetings and having to have my van towed to the mechanic's then another meeting, I got on this thread and when I got to the part where he was saved I let out a whoop. Good thing I live around students who are whooping all the time! I was SO HAPPY to read about how you waited out there and essentially dug him out of his wilderness refuge and got him to where he could be safe and warm, and blow-dried him all fluffy. What a beaut!
And what a good start to the weekend!!!
As to how much you have to pay for fleece--I pick up fleece blankies in the baby section and other fleece in the bedding and the fabrics section at thrift stores, which are amazingly cheap here for good quality stuff. This second hand fleece mostly all wicks the urine down to the towels or mattress pad underneath, and if I get a piece that doesn't, or have a nice thick baby blanket, I don't put it on the floor as bedding, but roll it and make a kind of bolster around the area under their portable lofts, so they use it as a pillow instead of a bed. I find a use for everything.
I second the advice to listen to his breathing. You shouldn't hear any wheezing. If you do he might have an upper respiratory infection or even a deeper lung infection like pneumonia. Piggies do not show symptoms of illness until they are very ill indeed. They are prey animals and can't afford to reveal their illness. The rest of the herd would drive out a sick piggie since he might endanger them and a predator of course would make short work of one.
I am so glad you have this darling safe and sound. Juniper the wonder-pig.

Skip Kaytee anything. It's low quality hay. Get what you can for the time being so he has SOMETHING to chew on but go Kleenmamas for the long term.

It was answered already but I know it can be a little overwhelming in the beginning but once you get it, it's really easy. Fleece wicks moisture away from the surface, leaving that surface dry to the touch. So, you'll need an absorbant layer under the fleece to actually hold the moisture being wicked through the fleece. From top to bottom the layers are typically like this: fleece, absorbant material (towels, Uhaul pads, etc), waterproof barrier (coroplast-which is also known as corrogated plastic or sign board OR some people will use a shower curtain, tarps, plastic, etc.). Home Depot, Lowe's, or Menards will sell Coroplast (it's usually housed near the plexiglass) but the sheets are only 30"x36". At some point, I would invest in Coroplast for a more long term waterproof barrier. For the time being, a shower curtain will work.

For fleece to "work" it needs to be washed and dried at least 4 times before use (no fabric softener or dryer sheets). I like to buy fleece blankets at thrift stores because, chances are, it's already been washed many times so I only have to do it once when I get it home. If you buy new fleece, don't skip this step.

Last edited:
Check out some of the stickies on the top of the forums. They are great for new comers, faq's etc.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...y-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html is a fantastic resource when it comes to pig diets, as well as this. https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/24770-sample-veggie-menus.html

Generally try to limit fruits to small amounts fed only twice a week, too much sugar can lead to health problems. For now it should be fine, as long as he is getting some food into him! Definitely an improvement over his shrub snacks.

Your concern, kindheartedness and dedication to catch the little dude have warmed my heart! He's a very fortunate piggy to have strayed into your backyard. He is gorgeous - so sweet-looking. BRAVO!!!

We're about half way there but he likes his new digs! Got to get the corogated plastic and another fleece b/c this stuff just isn't right. Also, bowls. I looked right at the dang things and didn't even think about grabbing one. He's done well with little saucers though and doesn't flip them. Maybe I should stick to what works. He just took right to this. Like he knew this was right and it was his. Made my heart sing to see him finally look comfortable and confident.

Guinea pig in my backyard. will he make it? and advice on catching

Public enemy #1

Guinea pig in my backyard. will he make it? and advice on catching

She's actually a pretty sweet and tolerant cat. He doesn't seem too worried about her. And she just wants to watch him (so far). I have a feeling she would just want to lay down and cuddle with him. She's a cuddler. But there is still a top on the cage :) Just in case.

Well, off to clean my poor bathtub. I've never seen so much poop come out of something so little and I'm a mom!

He must feel like he's in heaven after having been out in the cold. Your cage looks great! I'm impressed how quickly you put it all together.

That is seriously a pretty piggy.

Aww, he looks like such a happy little man! I'm so happy he found you!

I have 7 cats here, they really don't bother with them. They like to lay on top of the cage, sometimes will hop in and lay down, but they have never tried to bat at them or anything. Don't trust them though haha!

My yorkies are what I have to worry about. Thats why my cage is 14 inches off the floor (harder for my shorty dogs ha) and why it has a nice lid!lol

What great work!

Are you going to keep the Piggy?

Kim: we just went under contract with our home (yay!) if for some reason we have to come back to TN to do any repairs or close on the sale, whatever. I'm stowing him in my purse for you. :)

beachgurl: 2 of my 3 chihuahuas are over themselves b/c they haven't been able to give him the sniff-over. my 3rd chihuahua could care less.

Zuidy: I don't think I'm going to keep him. I just don't feel like I have the time he deserves. And definitely don't have time for more and since they are social animals, I would feel super bad for not having a friend for him. That said, I'm not just giving him away willy-nilly. I will take the time to find the right home for him. One that I am sure will do everything in their power to make sure he doesn't end up under another bush in the middle of winter. This guy has been through too much to not have the best home.

Last edited:
aww...i wanted you to keep him...hahaha

aww...i wanted you to keep him...hahaha
I have a feeling, she's not going to let just anyone have him :)

What a special guy he is! He looks right at home!

I am a little late on this, but I am so glad you and your husband were able to catch him and give him such a nice place to stay. He looks so content and it seems he is just as thankful you caught him as all of us are, thank you for not giving up on him!

I wish we lived closer to you because my husband and I are looking for a male guinea pig and can't find any around us for adoption. Hopefully you are able to find him a home as loving as you have been to him,

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.