Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Young pigs bite older boar again, this time near eye

thequeenofpigs

Cavy Slave
Yesterday, after arriving home, I went to go check out my guinea pigs as usual & I noticed that my 5-year-old boar, Gunther, had received a very tiny cut on the outside of his lower left eyelid. It wasn't bleeding or anything when I first saw it. The scar looks fine right now.

Besides Gunther, I have two other boars, Grover & Garrett. Both of them are 9 months old & I got them both when they were only a week old. I suspect that Gunther was bitten by one of them while I was out yesterday & it wouldn't be the first time.

About 2 months ago, Gunther had been bitten by one of them while I was out. He had a small scar above his nose (that's still visible but healed up) & another above his mouth. Then about 2 weeks ago, he received a small scar in front of his left nostril.

I'm beginning to worry that either Grover or Garrett will one day give Gunther a more serious injury or perhaps Gunther might get an infection. I'm also starting to think that they've become "aggressive" with Gunther too.

Almost every day, I see either Grover or Garrett chase Gunther around the cage to hump him, their bodies slamming against the sides of the cage. When they chase Gunther, I hear them purr & chatter their teeth & squeak. Sometimes I'll hear Gunther let out a few high-pitched cries while he's being chased. When I hear him do that, I usually take him out of the cage to have him sit on my lap, to relax him. (He's currently taking a nap on my lap as I type this.)

I've never seen Gunther bite either Grover or Garrett & I've never seen Grover or Garrett bite each other. Gunther is the calmest one of the trio, he's very gentle & timid. I've only ever seen him be aggressive when he's being chased. He'll lift his head up as a warning & chatter his teeth but he'll never chase or hump Grover or Garrett.

Right now, I want to know if this sort of "aggressive" behavior that Grover & Garrett are displaying towards Gunther is normal, or just some phase that young boars go through...

Thanks!! :D

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Three boars together almost NEVER works. The behavior is "normal" only in that it is extremely common. I'd get another pig and separate them into pairs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.