Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Won't Eat Veggies won't eat vegetable stems

pennyc

Cavy Slave
hello i'm new here. thank god i found this forum, hope can find some solution here.

my gp won't eat vegetable stems. she will finish the leafy part and leave the stems.
sometimes she will eat the stems when i hand feed her but very seldom. she will ignore it most of the time

what should i do? :sad:

Hello and welcome to the forum!:) I don't think there's anything wrong with her not eating the stem! If she's eating all the leafy green goodness, she's fine!

Hello and welcome to the forum!:) I don't think there's anything wrong with her not eating the stem! If she's eating all the leafy green goodness, she's fine!

but should I like train her to eat the stems? It's kinda waste to throw all the stems away:eek:hmy:

What vegetables?

Japanese Kai-choy
sometimes she won't eat the hard part of the cabbages also.

and also can I feed her some corn flakes?
i googled and found out it's okay to give them corn flakes but I saw its a no to give them pallets that includes corn and now I'm confused:confused:

You should probably stay clear of cabbage. It's no good for them. Try romaine or red and green leaf lettuce instead! And no to corn flakes. Their pellets should be just pellets without all the grainy and colored bits in it.

No, no corn flakes. And cabbage should not be fed as a daily food -- it's too gassy, and can cause very painful, very serious tummy troubles if fed too often or in too large quantities.

Long strand grass hay (timothy, orchard, meadow, blue, brome) should be 85% of your pig's diet, and should be available at ALL times. Fifteen percent should be vegetables (staples are red or green leaf lettuce and bell peppers), and 5% should be a good quality plain pellet (no added grains, seeds, or colored bits). See https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List for what you can feed and how often.

Hey.
dont worry about your piggy she is fine😊
try giving her a carrot. They are a hit with my piggy
about the corn flakes that's a no. They are not good for piggys
hope I helped:)

Thanks for the advice.

And also wanna ask if is there any other brand of pallets to recommend except oxbow?
because she will get bored of it and I need to change her pallets from time to time

I've never heard of a guinea pig getting bored of pellets? There's a brand called KMS that's exactly like Oxbow's!

I've been feeding my pigs Oxbow for 9 years now (though my oldest current pig is 4 and a half), not once have they ever got sick of their pellets. They still get ridiculously excited at breakfast time in fact.

I am not sure about that. I just got her for 2 weeks and her ex-owner told me so. ��

Try the timothy pellets and see if she eats them, if she stops eating them that's when you should start worrying about why she's not eating. Mine mostly eat hay and veggies, they love cilantro (coriander).

I bought the Hagen ones earlier and I just realized it's not suitable for her
i think I'll just stick to oxbow

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.