Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Won't Eat Wont eat his hay!

NonNonHeinous

Cavy Slave
Hi all,

I just acquired a new guinea pig yesterday, quite by accident. I was at the feed store to pick up some feed for my horse, and I saw a little hairy guinea pig in a cage (this store often sells local kittens, puppies, etc). The first thing I noticed was that he was in a totally inappropriate cage with wire floors that his feet could slip through. He was also had large patches of hair loss and had flakey, scaly, irritated skin. He was lying there and looking miserable... with no hay.

Turns out his previous owners didn't want him anymore, and were going to just "set him free" in the backyard. The feed store owner insisted that they give the piggy to her so she could find it home through her store. Enter me, the poor sap who couldn't stand to leave him there. He was free. I have had two guinea pigs before.

Anyway, he is home with me now, and he saw the vet this morning. He's in terrible shape--infested with mites, yeasty, and with what looks like a secondary fungal infection. He is so itchy that it causes him seizures. His nails were so long that he did not want to move much, and he probably is vit C deficient as well. Vet felt he was too debilitated for anti-fungals, but we did trim his nails, bathed him with HyLyt shampoo, and gave him his first dose of Revolution. He already seems more comfortable and is very sweet, easy to pick up, etc.

However, he will not eat any hay! He has grass hay from my horse's stash at the barn, and some Oxbow alfalfa hay just to try to tempt him. He acts like he's never had hay before. He will eat some pellets--they were feeding him a junky "guinea pig buffet" type diet that has little seeds and things mixed in with the pellets, and when I mixed that in with his Cavy Cuisine he just picked out the "goodies". Luckily, he will eat the fresh veggies I give him.

I'm starting to think he just has never been fed hay before. Given the overall evidence of neglect, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't bother to give it to him. But any suggestions for getting him to eat it?

So far he's just sitting on it. My last guinea pigs absolutely HOOVERED down hay like it was candy, so this is worrying me.

Just keep giving it to him he'll hopefully come around?

My boys in their pre rescue life I don't think had access to hay either though fortunitely they were in much better condition other wise, it took three of four days before they started to munch it and they still prefer the alfalfa pellets to anything else so I measure out what they get carefully and divide it up between morning and evening feedings and that's all they get. Eventually they got bored or hungry and started chewing at the only thing left in the pen after they'd eatten the pellets... the hay.

I also find that putting a big amount of hay in which they can hide and run helps them eat hay: they hide and munch at the same time.

Good on you for rescuing this poor little creature. He certainly was unhappy with his previous "owner" but he sure is lucky to have you now!

Are you planning on putting him with other pigs once he is healthy? Once you do that, the other pigs might be able to show him that it is food.

Until then, just keep offering it, and handfeed him if necessary.

Good luck with him!

Thanks everyone!

I'll just keep putting it in. I might also see if I can find some really good hay, something really leafy. My horse's hay is somewhat stemmy. The vet also suggested oxbow's Critical Care, however I'd need to find a vet that sells it.

I do feel bad for him that he is by himself, and wondered if he saw other GPs eating hay it might "teach" him, but I don't have any other piggies and I have no idea if he was EVER with other GPs--if he's social or not. He's certainly very nice with people and is very calm, easy to pick up, etc. He's the first guinea pig I've had that doesn't automatically run away with you go to pet him. But I think he also doesn't feel good enough to RUN anywhere :(

I'm a starving college student with three dogs and a horse who really doesn't *need* another animal expense...but I just couldn't leave him. I hope I can find him a good home once I get him healthy.

Here are some photos of his terrible skin condition:

I saw the picture with hay ball on your other post. He might not know how to use it. Trying putting a pile of hay on the floor for him.
I hope his skin gets better. Thank you for rescuing him.

Yes, I've been just putting it on the floor, but he still isn't really touching it. Maybe just a nibble here and there on the alfalfa and the botanical timothy. Still would like to find some GOOD hay--the stuff we've got here is still too stemmy for my tastes. Will need to shop around.

Have now resorted to just syringe feeding him Critical Care.

Oh the poor little guy. I wouldn't have been able to leave him either. Things like not eating hay are the things that annoy me the most. I want to help them so badly but theres nothing you can do. They'll eat it when they feel like it. It sounds like you're doing a great job trying to get the little guy better. Keep working with it and hopefully he'll come around. If I happen to be anywhere near you I may be willing to take him if you haven't fallen in love with him by the time he's better.

Kleenmama's hay is excellent. I would order some from there. I get the bluegrass.

Guinea pigs are social animals and really do need to be kept with a friend. I realize you have many other animals, so if you're not able to afford the time, money, and effort, you could considering rehoming him to someone with another pig if you decide that's what is best.

In the meantime, I would avoid holding him too much as he looks like he's in horrible shape! I'm glad you're getting him the care he needs--he will be adorable when he gets better!

Yes, I'm well aware that they should be kept in pairs. When I had GPs before I had two of them, and you could tell they appreciated each other's company.

But obviously he's in no shape to be placed with others currently. I will almost certainly look to rehome him once he's healthy, because it's a stretch to afford just one, especially with his health issues, and I agree that it's not ideal to keep him single.

I don't hold him any more than necessary, although I do need to syringe feed him Critical Care several times a day. I wrap him in a towel and that seems to keep him happy. He is very sweet and has never tried to bite me despite the fact that he must feel uncomfortable.

Its amazing how you can still see his hidden beauty. Thank you NonNonHeinous for helping him get back on his feet so to speak!

I had the same "problem" with my newest piggie. I got him from someone off of craig's list. They obviously weren't taking care of him seeing as how his front nails were curled around his toes. It was ridiculous! I don't think he ever had hay befor either because he didn't show any interest in it. But now, its been a little over 3 weeks, he eats it all up! Took him a few days to really enjoy it.

Good luck!

I just wanted to say thank you for rescuing him. Best of luck with restoring him to good health.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
he really is a gorgeous little fella. so sad that he's in such bad shape :(.

Poor guy. It's a good thing that you are taking care of him. There are just so many people who goes to a pet store and gets a GP without prior research.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.