Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wondering How My Guinea Pig Passed Away (Rest In Peace, John!)

dodo_excuse

Cavy Gazer
So, my guinea pig of 3 months passed away two days ago (9/18/14).

We are still grieving over our loss and to be honest, sometimes when I'm home alone I can hear him wheeking and scuffling around in my older brothers room but then I remember we don't have his cage anymore.

We still have his carrots, cilantro, apples, Timothy Hay, and other foods he used to eat (especially a gallon of purified water).

But what I am wondering is: How did he pass away?

He was fine a week ago. Playing like he normally does, loving the attention my older brother gave him. Ate like normal and did the bathroom like normal.

But this week, he'd been acting odd.

My younger brother told me John was walking funny; limping around the cage. John would sometimes stay in one place and just freeze there and stay silent. My older brother picked him up and usually John struggles but he looked really tired and simply looked at us with an unreadable expression. He didn't want to eat, either. Not at all. He didn't do the restroom, either. He just wasn't as active.

(Warning: The following information has a bit of a graphic description.)

Night came quick and my younger brother told me he heard John wheeking loudly at 3 in the morning but he was too sleepy so he went back to sleep.
Three hours later, he woke up and went to check on John but he wasn't out of his house. He's usually prepared to eat a carrot every morning and my younger brother then picked him up, only to notice John was as still as stone. John also had this odd stench to him and also was laying on his side inside his house.

First of all, the cage hadn't been cleaned in two weeks because we didn't have any bedding for him and we were planning to buy some more that day, too. It was the second week when we were about to buy more bedding for him. My older brother was low on money so we had no choice but to wait until Thursday came but John passed away.

My older brother had told me he took John a bath a day before and said John's nose was dripping, had a bit of eye crust and he also said he washed John's head (we'd been told not to do that but if we did, we must dry him thoroughly). Maybe, he had a cold?

But then my younger brother told me when he was holding John's body, he felt a large lump in-between John's ribs. Not to mention only one eye was open, too.

Could John have had some kind of heart disease?

Or...maybe, he'd been sick for these three months and John held it in for so long until he couldn't anymore...

Do you fellows have a clue as to how John passed away? Keep in mind, John was still pretty young.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry for your loss. He might have aspirated water into his lungs from the bath. I never get their heads wet. I use a clean, damp wash cloth to wash the facial area if they need it. The fact that he had a crusty eye could have meant he had a URI. Is is possible he was dropped? The limping could have been from an injury but you wouldn't know for sure unless a vet had examined him. The need a clean cage and unlimited grass hay, a cup of veggies a day and up to 1/8 cup of high quality guinea pig pellets. Those under 6 months of age also need calcium to build strong bones.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You never should get their heads wet when bathing them. If he had a URI and then aspirated water, that could have killed him.

In the future, if he has symptoms of a URI, please get him to the vet ASAP. Pigs go downhill in a hurry when they're sick, and any delay can mean the difference between life and death.

You need to put by enough money for pig care, whether it's food, bedding, or vet visits. It's not fair to a pet to have it and not take care of it. Pigs WILL need vet care, and it will be expensive because dog-and-cat vets are not equipped to treat them. So before you get another pig, please save up enough money for any emergencies that will come along.

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry you lost your boy.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry for your loss, RIP little John.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
The very day he stopped eating he needed to see a vet. Guinea pigs must eat constantly to survive. He might have been sick for days or even longer before he even started showing symptoms. It's important to weigh your guinea pigs weekly to make sure they are eating normally. Please learn more about guinea pig care before getting another one.

I'm sorry he's gone.

dodo_excuse

Cavy Gazer
The very day he stopped eating he needed to see a vet. Guinea pigs must eat constantly to survive. He might have been sick for days or even longer before he even started showing symptoms. It's important to weigh your guinea pigs weekly to make sure they are eating normally. Please learn more about guinea pig care before getting another one.

I'm sorry he's gone.

I don't think I'm going to get another guinea pig, haha...

He was my first guinea pig and if and when the time comes that I get another one (I still don't think I will), I'll keep that in mind.

Thank you.

dodo_excuse

Cavy Gazer
You never should get their heads wet when bathing them. If he had a URI and then aspirated water, that could have killed him.

In the future, if he has symptoms of a URI, please get him to the vet ASAP. Pigs go downhill in a hurry when they're sick, and any delay can mean the difference between life and death.

You need to put by enough money for pig care, whether it's food, bedding, or vet visits. It's not fair to a pet to have it and not take care of it. Pigs WILL need vet care, and it will be expensive because dog-and-cat vets are not equipped to treat them. So before you get another pig, please save up enough money for any emergencies that will come along.
We did our best to take care of John while he was still with us.

We aren't in good financial status in particular and I don't plan on getting another guinea pig, to be honest... Though, I thank you for the advice! I will keep that in mind.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
sorry for your loss...

juliax0

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss :'(

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
I definitely wouldn't get another pet of any sort if you're not in a financial situation to even provide for your guinea pig's basic needs.
I apologize for you loss, but next time do more research and really consider if you're in the right financial and living situation to adopt something that depends upon you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.