Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Will a midwest plus work for two sows?

sierralj97

Cavy Slave
Hi there!

I currently have 2 sows and 2 boars. Due to recent events I have to move back in with my parents. Right now I just have one of my boars with me, but I'm hoping to move the rest over here soon. Here's my problem...we're very short on space. In my room, I can keep a midwest plus cage (that's where my boar, Oreo, is now.) Downstairs I can fit the boys' 2x4 cage. My question is whether or not I can keep two girls in a midwest plus? I just don't have the room for a huge c&c in my current situation. I'll be able to store their old c&c in our garage until I can move back out again, but for now we're sort of stuck. I really want this to work out because I have nowhere else to put them and nobody that can watch them. It wouldn't be a permanent setting, but it would be at least a year, so it's enough that I want to be sure it'd be okay...they'd of course get plenty of floor time, and since they're in my room, they'll probably be out all of the time while I do my coursework for college.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Maybe, maybe not. A Midwest is really too small for two adult pigs. But if your pair gets along very well, they might not squabble.

Take a look at the photo galleries here. There are lots of ideas for cages in small spaces. You might be able to work out more room for your pigs than you think.

sierralj97

Cavy Slave
I'm also trying to work the idea of a two level cage...I may or may not be able to fit it. I have to do some measuring. I've done one before, but the area where we'll put them has a cupboard right above it where we store all of our dry goods, so we'd have to be able to easily access that...if I'm thinking right, a two story cage would be roughly 42 inches, correct? I'm also working on rearranging my room...if I can find a way to fit a 2x4 in my room, I'd be able to make it two levels. I'd like to keep them all in my room if possible.. It just stinks because they'd both be losing their 1x2 lofts in that case.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.