Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Wicking?

Lucille

Cavy Slave
I cut a number of pieces of fleece from the bolt I purchased and washed and dried them last night. This morning I was getting ready to rewash but took a tablespoon of water and just to see what happened, put it on the washed and dried fleece. It wicked through immediately.
I'm not clear as to why we all wash our fleeces, exactly what are we washing out in an effort to get the fleece to wick? It seems that some fleece wicks more readily that others when it is first purchased?

Some fleece does wick better than others. Some will work after 1 wash others take as much as 5. Just depends on the quality and chemicals the fleece has been treated with. What we are trying to wash out is the chemicals that are sprayed on fleece a) to make it color fast, some manufactures use formaldehyde for that, b) the pesticides sprayed on fabric and c) the chemicals or waxiness that keeps fleece water proof.

Fleece has a coating on it. Some have more, some have less. I have had fleece wick before I even washed it and some took up to 6 washings to wick. I usually wash and dry it once and then just start using it. Eventually, it will all wash off and it wicks faster each time I wash it. :)

Thicker fleece usually takes more washes and last longer than thinner fleece, some fleece pills and deteriorates less than others. Thinner fleece will wick faster than thicker fleece but it won't keep the guinea pigs as dry. At least this has been my experience.

I think maybe they did not wax the fleece I got in the manufacture process? It is nice, thick anti-pill.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.